[rehab] Blind talk

Angel238 angel238 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 28 19:53:45 UTC 2017

While blind children, born blind, should be encouraged strongly, and should
be taught how sighted people interact.  because we, who are totally blind,
are unable to see the fools sighted people make of themselves in public
settings, we are made to feel as if we are the only ones who offend.  We
have a difficult enough time getting an equal education with our sighted
peers.  Our technology always being just a tad behind in its development.
We need to be as confident as it is possible for us  to be.  Providing us
with a skewed prospective regarding ourselves as we comport ourselves in
relation to those practices of which sighted people are guilty does nothing
to improve our personal self esteem.  We should be given the same
consideration as sighted people give to themselves.  We might be less hard
on ourselves.  If we were given a clearer picture of those sighted people
around us.  This lady fails to mention, perhaps deliberately, all the silly
mannerisms sighted people demonstrate.  What about those who risk danger.
Because they are distracted by the use of their cell phones.  They
constantly walk down streets with their heads down.  Looking at their cell
phones.  Or they actually are responsible for killing people.  Because they
are texting on their phones.  Young sighted boys walk around with their
underwear showing.  If they wear mismatched socks, or clothes, or their
shirts say things which are clearly offensive, it becomes a fashion
statement, and a means of personal self expression.  We are negatively
accused of putting our fingers in our eyes.  Or rocking back and forth.  For
the purpose of comforting ourselves.  When sighted people engage in worse
practices than these.  To comfort themselves.  They smoke, drink to access,
bite their fingernails, or take prescribed drugs.  Which is worse.  But,
they are permitted these things.  While we are criticized.  For soothing
ourselves.  As do they.  My point is:  Sighted people engage in equally
unpleasant mannerisms.  The difference is:  We totally blind people don't
actually see what they are doing.  One of the things about which I was
concerned 60 years ago.  When I was being taught in elementary school, was
the idea, that when corrected regarding our particular mannerisms, we were
never told sighted people practice many equally offensive things.  They
bring service animals everywhere.  I wonder how many are as well mannered as
are dog guides.  But, they don't expect to be criticized.  If their animals
are poorly behaved.  Why?  Because they are sighted.  and are, therefore,
excused for the things they do.  Not to say they shouldn't be.  But, use
language no one would use in mixed company 60 years ago, on television, and
on social media.  They smoke all sorts of things at bus stops.  Where anyone
has to breathe the same air as they pollute.  They change dirty diapers on
airplane trey tables.  Where food is placed.  They, sometimes because of
intoxication urinate in plants, and on streets.  This was done by a
community college student in the class for which I worked.  Their children
scream in restaurants.  Some drunken sighted people throw up in cars, and
all put their hands in potato chip bags.  Then, pass those same chips around
to others.  They , also, put their dirty hands in the same bag.  From which
they all eat.    They eat French fries and chicken with their hands.  Rather
than with forks and knives.  Then they scratch their heads.  Wondering why
it is they catch seasonal flews and colds.  They dine using mismatched
dishes, and flatware.  When they can see from what they are eating.   If I
could see, I am sure I could enumerate more offending things, permitted by
sighted people.  Which they do.  Which might be just as offensive.  If we
could see what it is they do every day.  As a matter of course.  If we are
taught, the way to succeed best, might be to avoid doing some of the things
sighted people don't understand, and the reasons we might not be as
successful as we might be, might be because we are doing things which might
seem strange to others.  We might better be able to put ourselves in proper
perspective.  Sighted people are expected to understand, and to accept
people and attitudes they, in years past, would never be expected to accept.
Which is why there is a greater acceptance of transgender people, Moslem
women with their different clothing, and same sex marriage.  I believe the
idea behind all this acceptance of people is:  People should be judged not
by their gender, or personal preferences.  If we ask society generally to
believe this, why shouldn't we blind people expect the same acceptance of
us, as we are.    Even if it never happens?