[rehab] Blind talk

Angel238 angel238 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 30 11:36:32 UTC 2017

You won't make that mistake I am sure.  Because the times are different.
Then, professional thinking toward us blind clients was different, in so
many ways.  Words like "college material" aren't even heard these days.
Then,  to get a desired result, any means were not frowned upon.  It might
help, however, if rehabilitation counselors remember, to treat those of us
having low self esteem, more gently, perhaps, than was I, then.  I don't
know the advisability if this:  But, perhaps a little harder treatment of
those parents or guardians, who believe they are really doing us a favor by
sheltering us, and keeping our self esteem low, might be in order.
Reminding them, that, Though, they are protecting us, because they love us,
and only want the best for  our welfare, they aren't immortal; and they
will, one day, die.  Leaving us on our own.  To have to fend for ourselves.
Such isn't a pleasant prospect.  If both we and they are older when this
happens.  Thank goodness, I was left on my own when I was young.  So, I
learned to be self sufficient without their hindrance.  Though, it would
have been nice to have them around to see me successfully employed, be a
successful homemaker,  and to raise children, and to have loving
grandchildren.