[Rehab] Career Fair Mistakes 2018

Dick Davis ddavis at blindinc.org
Thu Jun 20 22:14:30 UTC 2019

Hi,

This is directed to those of you who plan to attend this year’s NFB
National Career Fair or work with people who plan to attend.  We did a
survey of last year’s employers and have some of their remarks I wanted to
share with you all in an effort to keep the same things from happening
again this year:

1.       Some people (apparently center students) came to employer tables
just to collect business cards, and had no interest in the organizations
themselves. It appears that this may have been some kind of travel
assignment.  Please do not have students use the career fair as a sort of
scavenger hunt.  It is fine for them to explore careers with employers, but
just asking for a business card and walking away is insulting.

2.       Too many people did not have resumes or cover letters available.
That’s what employers are looking for, and they expect serious applicants
to bring either paper or electronic ones.

3.       Too many people had no idea what the employers did. Any business
can be looked up on the internet. We are correcting this problem this year
by sending employer information to those individuals who sign up online for
the career fair.  The first mailing to registered jobseekers should be
tomorrow, June 21.  It will contain the contact information for the people
who are coming.

4.       It should go without saying at this point, but dress for job
interviews.  Wear the best clothes you have, even if they are just clean
work clothes.

You need to sign up online to attend the career fair.  Here is the link:
https://www.nfb.org/employment-committee-job-fair-reg

More information in later posts.

Dick Davis, Chair
NFB Employment Committee