[Rehab] Informed Choice in Job Jeopardy Cases

Justin Salisbury PRESIDENT at alumni.ecu.edu
Thu Aug 6 22:06:53 UTC 2020

Thanks so much, everyone,

I am referring to a new referral (someone who just went blind during the pandemic who really needs some support for their own safe travel, making food, and all the other things that a person might struggle with after sudden vision loss. There is some lack of clarity on whether the VR agency is accepting job jeopardy cases, but the person qualifies under that designation so far as I understand it. I guess they had a virtual meeting with a VR counselor who told them they could get VR services for job jeopardy, but there would be no IPE and no informed choice.

They are also being told that job jeopardy cases only exist to keep a person employed with their current employer, and the VR counselor wants to work to get the person demoted to a receptionist at their current place of employment. This does not sound like a good fit for this person, in their opinion or mine. It would be a pay cut as well as a substantial drop in intellectual stimulation and physical activity. Job jeopardy is supposed to be about helping a person keep their current job, right?

Thanks all,

Justin