[Rehab] FW: New opportunity at Lighthouse for the Blind & Visually Impaired in San Francisco: ELab

Dick Davis ddavis at blindinc.org
Sat May 9 18:36:58 UTC 2020

This sounds like an interesting job.

Dick Davis

*From:* Edward Garcia <EGarcia at lighthouse-sf.org>
*Sent:* Friday, May 8, 2020 6:30 PM
*Subject:* New opportunity at Lighthouse for the Blind & Visually Impaired
in San Francisco: ELab

Hello to all of you. I hope all of you are staying safe and remain well
during these difficult times.

I am reaching out to you for a special position that is open at our agency. The
Lab Blending Manager (LBM) is a valued role in our growing organization at
our new state of the art Cleaning Product Operation in the new Sirkin
Center in Alameda, CA.

This role is devoted to produce and distribute product that will
substantially increase the hiring of LightHouse’s blind and visually
impaired jobseekers.

The LBM will supervise quality control, research and development,
regulatory compliance and STEM educational initiatives for a new and
burgeoning social enterprise producing industry leading and environmentally
sustainable cleaning products.

Let me know if you have any questions. The job announcement is included in
this email below with a description and instructions on how to apply. It is
also attached for those with that preference.

LIGHTHOUSE JOB ANNOUNCEMENT

POSITION:      Laboratory and Blending Manager

REPORTS TO:                  Senior Director, Operations

APPLICATION DEADLINE:           Open Until Filled

LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired, headquartered in
downtown San Francisco, is looking for a full time Laboratory and Blending
Manager (LBM) to fill a valued role in our growing organization at our new
state of the art Cleaning Product Operation in the new Sirkin Center in
Alameda, CA.

*Role Overview*

The LBM will supervise quality control, research and development,
regulatory compliance and STEM educational initiatives for a new and
burgeoning social enterprise producing industry leading and environmentally
sustainable cleaning products. This will be accomplished while meeting the
mission of LightHouse to create professional employment opportunities for
the blind community.  The LBM will support ongoing business as well as lead
the charge in new product development and serve as the lead chemist for the
LightHouse Sirkin Center.  This role will supervise QA/QC, lab technicians
and blending team members of LightHouse Industries.  This role will also
lead agency-wide STEM educational initiatives for blind children, teens,
and adults.

*Qualifications:*

*Education*:   3 years of experience providing laboratory services in the
cleaning product industry

*Experience*: Experience in research and development and regulatory
compliance for cleaning products Experience in batching of chemicals for
cold blending
MS or PhD in Chemistry, Microbiology or Biology with academic research
publication

*Job Responsibilities:*

   - The Lab and Blending Manager will write and execute standard operating
   procedures for all blending and laboratory operations
   - The LBM will establish, calendar and the execution of regulatory
   compliance for local, state, and federal audits
   - The LBM will supervise lab, quality assurance and control and blending
   technicians
   - The Lab and Blending Manager will oversee the inventory and management
   of raw chemical material in the facility
   - The Lab and Blending Manager will conduct QA QC testing for day to day
   blending operations
   - The person in this position will lead and serve as principle for
   research and development of new products for LHI
   - The LBM will partner with other managers to complete RFPs and RFAs for
   federal assignments and contracts
   - The LBM will participate in sales calls to present a scientific
   explanation of the quality of LHI products
   - The Lab and Blending Manager will design and implement an accessible
   workspace in the lab and blending operation for people who are blind or
   visually impaired
   - The LBM will design lab environment for QA QC and research and
   development tasks
   - The Lab and Blending Manager will plan, lead, and develop science,
   technology, engineering and mathematic (STEM) programs in coordination with
   the Program team for children, teens, and adults to encourage interest in
   STEM career fields

Other Duties:

   - The LBM will work in an office environment and a laboratory. They may
   also perform work in an unconditioned manufacturing floor which may be
   cooler in winter and warm in the summer.

   - The LBM will work in a warehouse office where they will need the
   ability to sit at a desk and perform computer-intensive work for long
   periods of time
   - The LBM will operate standard office equipment; they will also need
   the ability to occasionally travel to offsite location(s) independently as
   needed
   - Some travel may be required

*Who We Are**: *

LightHouse has an audacious mission – to transform the lives of the 40,000
blind people in the greater Bay Area and beyond. We do this through tech
design, disability advocacy, consultation, classes and community formation
in San Francisco, our four satellite offices and Enchanted Hills Camp in
Napa. We are a fun, fascinating, widely diverse, warm and friendly
community. We work in downtown San Francisco in a 40,000 square foot
state-of-the-art workspace renowned for its universal design, steps from
Civic Center BART. LightHouse is working for nothing less than to change
the future for blind people and the wider community.

Within a five-minute walk are the world headquarters for Twitter, Uber,
Dolby, Zendesk and many other tech giants. Within three blocks are all of
the principal building for Northern California’s federal, state and local
government. Also in our neighborhood are many theaters, San Francisco
Symphony and Opera, the Asian Art Museum and dozens of other key cultural
anchors of the entire Bay Area.

The successful candidate will join a unique organization in which blind and
sighted professionals work together at every level. Our governing Board of
Directors, management and staff are all composed of roughly equal numbers
of blind and sighted people, a parity unprecedented in our field.

Founded in 1902, LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired provides
skills, resources and community for the advancement of all individuals who
are blind or have low vision. Our innovative programs have been featured in
60 Minutes, the New York Times, and the Wall Street Journal and beyond. The
blind community comes to LightHouse to learn how to travel independently
with a white cane, to rejoin the workforce, use accessible technology, and
meet a community of mentors and peers. From unique tactile maps, to an
unparalleled camp for blind campers, to a world prize for blind ambition,
LightHouse offers programs unavailable elsewhere

*Learn About Us:*

*LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired*

*1155 Market Street, 10th Floor*

*San Francisco, CA 94103*

*www.lighthouse-sf.org* <http://www.lighthouse-sf.org>

*Employee Benefits:*

The LightHouse offers a rich package of benefits, including medical, vision
and dental insurance. Employees are eligible for an employer-matched 401(k)
plan and subsidized health club membership, among many other perks.

*Compensation:  *

Depending on Experience; industry competitive

*How to Apply:*

After reviewing the complete Job Description please apply by going to our
website at: https://lighthouse-sf.org/about/careers/
<https://lighthouse-sf.org/about/careers/senior-executive-assistant/>.

Please complete the application there as well as a cover letter and résumé
as word processing document attachments (no PDFs please).

Please submit to hr at lighthouse-sf.org, including the job title in the
subject line. We will not consider videos or hyperlinks to online profiles.
Due to time constraints we will only respond to complete submissions.
Thanks for your understanding.

Thank you and please stay well.

Ed Garcia

Human Resources Generalist

Lighthouse for the Blind & Visually Impaired

egarcia at lighthouse-sf.org

650-759-0470

Our offices have had to close for now, but LightHouse is still very much
open. Online assistive technology training, virtual socializing and
community health and wellbeing classes are just a few of the sessions for
which you can sign up. Visit our events calendar often to find out what’s
on: lighthouse-sf.org/calendar

And give what you can to help us provide these crucial services by filling
out the secure form on our donations page at: lighthouse-sf.org/donate