[Rehab] FW: Register Today - ABCs of Cultural Competence & Humility for Rehabilitation Professionals

Edward Bell ebell at pdrib.com
Mon Apr 26 20:29:59 UTC 2021

*** FYI, a bit expensive for individuals, but perhaps something your agency
might sponsor for you ***

Encore Presentation:

The ABCs of Cultural Competence & Humility for Rehabilitation Professionals

The ABCs of Cultural Competence & Humility addresses critical areas in the
development of cultural humility for rehabilitation professionals:
Awareness, Bias and Civility.

Register:

 <https://www.uacurrents.org/RegistrationSystem/Register?m=1z7>
https://www.uacurrents.org/RegistrationSystem/Register?m=1z7

Awareness (A)

 “Cultural awareness” is being cognizant, observant, and conscious of
similarities and differences among and between cultural groups.  The Code of
Professional Ethics for Rehabilitation Counselors states in the preamble
that “rehabilitation counselors recognize diversity and embrace a cultural
approach in support of the worth, dignity, potential, and uniqueness of
individuals with disabilities within their social and cultural contexts.”
The first session of a three-hour class includes a discussion on how we
increase our cultural awareness in order to provide ethical services as
outlined in the Code.  We will look at awareness using Robin DiAngelo’s
recommendations from her best-selling book White Fragility, and from the
book Is Everyone Really Equal, by James A. Banks, editor.

Bias (B)

We don’t have bias because we are bad people, we have bias because we ARE
people. This training highlights how bias, whether characterized as
unconscious, implicit and unknown, sneaks into all aspects of our lives, our
decision making, and our workplace relationships. Research indicates when
people are shown their bias and preconceptions, they try to overcome it. The
Code of Professional Ethics states rehabilitation counselors develop and
maintain knowledge, personal awareness, sensitivity, and skills to reflect
cultural competency, and do not condone or engage in prejudicial treatment.
This second session of the ABCs of Cultural Competence & Humility develops
an understanding of how bias impacts our workplace, including in recruiting
and hiring, team dynamics and career development. The training draws from
several sources to motivate participants to adopt behaviors that mitigate
workplace bias while fostering inclusion among team members.

Civility (C)

“The latest installment of Civility in America, an annual poll conducted by
Weber Shandwick and Powell Tate, in partnership with KRC Research, once
again finds that the majority of Americans perceive incivility to be a
problem in our society.” We do not have to look far to find this type of
behavior. From social media, to everyday interactions at the grocery store,
the lack of uncivil behavior has creeped into our daily interactions and has
been the cause of more viral videos than we can count.

How can we make daily shifts in the way we show up and ensure that everyone
who interacts with us has a positive experience? How can we learn to be
better advocates for the fair and just treatment of others, in the midst of
incivility? The Code of Professional Ethics state rehabilitation counselors
recognize and consider culture and socioeconomic status in diagnosis, and
should recognize and become aware how bias and prejudice impact receipt of
treatment and care. In this training, we will discuss the importance of
civility and dig deeper into the root of the civility crisis. We will leave
this training with a better understanding of what civility is, the tools
needed to promote it and examples of how to display compassion in our
everyday lives.

Participants who complete this training will be invited to join the UA
CURRENTS Cultural Competence & Humility Community of Practice, where more
in-depth conversations, tools, and resources are shared. Participation is
optional.