[Rehab] veterinary tech program

Dick Davis ddavis at blindinc.org
Mon May 10 21:36:45 UTC 2021

Brian,

This is the kind of stupid lack of reasonable accommodation that should
receive a Section 504 complaint.  That should open up the lines of
communication, as institutions of higher education fear Section 504 more
than the ADA.  They can lose their federal funds if they screw up on Section
504.  That is why DSS offices were created in the first place.

Specific questions to ask: Why must the individual be able to see through a
microscope?  Is it for learning purposes, or is microscope work an essential
function of the job? I doubt that it is, but check with a veterinarian,
preferably one not associated with the university.  If the microscope is for
learning, then they need to come up with an alternative method, the easiest
being use of a sighted person who describes what he or she sees, but does
not interpret it.  Tactile graphics can be created for testing and reference
purposes.

If using a microscope is an essential function of the job, find out from a
vet what he or she would do to work around it.  Can the vet or someone else
see what is in the microscope, and just work around it?

Does the DSS office even know that the student got such stupid advice?  I
was winning these battles back in the early 1980's before the ADA was even
created.  Stupid, stupid people!  If the University of Wisconsin could
produce a totally blind medical doctor, surely this place could produce a
lowly veterinary assistant.  These people are either unimaginative, stupid,
or both.

Best,