[Rehab] Seeking Your Valuable Input on a Job Rehabilitation Idea

Aaron blind247365 at gmail.com
Mon May 15 15:19:59 UTC 2023

Hello ACB and NFB rehabilitation friends,

I hope this message finds you well. I am reaching out to you today with an
idea that I believe could greatly benefit our community. I would be
grateful for your valuable thoughts, insights, and feedback, as well as any
information you may have about similar initiatives that have been
implemented elsewhere.

As professionals in the field, I'm sure you are familiar with how local
blindness centers conduct assistive technology assessments, where specific
technologies are recommended to the client's vocational rehabilitation (VR)
counselor. In my experience, clients often find success in obtaining the
recommended technology through the support of their counselor.

Building upon this concept, I propose expanding the scope to include job
assessments alongside tech assessments. In these job assessments, the
center would offer tailored recommendations, strategies, and resources to
enhance the employment prospects of our clients. These recommendations
could include attending conferences or conventions, enrolling in relevant
courses, acquiring specific equipment, and more. Initially, the
responsibility for identifying these opportunities would lie with the job
assessment personnel at the center, easing the burden on the client and
counselor. Ultimately, my goal is to maximize the benefits that blind
individuals receive from vocational rehabilitation.

Based on my own anecdotal observations, tech assessments have proven highly
successful in helping clients obtain the equipment they need to achieve
their employment goals. This leads me to wonder if we can achieve similar
levels of success through job assessments. I genuinely value your input and
would be grateful for your thoughts on this idea.

I would also like to take this opportunity to mention that I have CCed both
the ACB and NFB rehabilitation mailing lists. Please be aware that you will
encounter an error message if you are not subscribed to both lists and you
reply. Only the people subscribed to the mailing list you reply to will see
your reply. I encourage you all to subscribe to both lists as it can
greatly expand your rehabilitation perspective and knowledge.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I eagerly look forward to
hearing your insights.

Warm regards,

Executive Assistant: World Blind Herald (WBH)

https://www.worldblindherald.com/