[Riverside-San-Bernardino] Meeting August 8 Agenda and notes

Kelly Hill kellmaster1 at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 8 20:48:35 UTC 2020

Okay, here is my agenda and notes from today's meeting as promised.

Sincerely,
Kelly Hill

One Minute Message
"The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams.
You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back."

Those in Attendance?

Sylvia

Barbara

Angela

Paulina

Amanda

Carmen

Kelly

Minutes from last meeting?
Barbara read the minutes from our last meeting on June 13th. Carmen corrected the account balance.

The account Balance at that time was $794.91.
Carmen moved to accept the minutes of the previous meeting with corrections.
Paulina seconded.
Approved.

Treasurer's Report
June 13 to August 8 2020
Current Account balance:
$794.91
We have a new member who paid dues with said money not having been deposited yet. This will leave us with $804.91
Carmen says we don't need a motion to approve the treasurer's report?

Old Business
NFB Publications
Braille Monitor
This is the flagship publication of the National Federation of the Blind

Presidential Releases
This is a monthly audio message from President Mark A. Riccobono that highlights the current activities of the National Federation of the Blind.
You are encouraged to check out all of our publications here.
Publications and Media | National Federation of the Blind
https://www.nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media

Convention Experiences?
People shared their convention experiences. Everyone loved the crowd compass app.
In response to a question  about resolutions from Angela Carmen explained the process of how a potential resolution moves from the chapter to the state, to national level and is finally acted on.
If, for example,  it's a bill that goes to congress you need a sponsor and cosponsors and many of the items play out over a number of years.

Did everyone fill out the convention survey?
(Deadline was July 31.)
Amanda and Paulina filled out the survey.

We decided that we need a workshop on how to use the chapter list.
Kelly Amanda and Paulina will organize this event.
Paulina asked people to tell us what they are using to work with their email.
After getting together on this Paulina Kelly and Amanda will send out a brief questionnaire to help them determine how to structure the workshop.
We hope to have it By September.

Amanda discussed writing the proper email address in the to field
The proper email address is
riverside-san-bernardino at nfbnet.org<mailto:riverside-san-bernardino at nfbnet.org>

New Business

State convention
This year's state convention will be virtual. It will be held October 27 through October 31.

Door Prize
Usually our chapter provides a door prize to be raffled or used as a fundraiser at the state level during the convention.
Suggestions?
Gift Card
Carmen moves that we purchase three ten-dollar amazon gift cards in the total amount of $30  for our door prize for state convention. She will work with Amanda to make this happen.

Barbara seconded.

Pledge
Carmen would like us to do the pledge at the opening of the general session at state convention. Who is willing to learn and recite it?
Sylvia will coordinate this.
Barbara is willing.
Carmen will bring it up at the state level and see what other chapter presidents say. She says it could get bigger than just our chapter.

Elections
All chapter officers will be elected in October.
Kelly is asking if there is a nominating committee.
Carmen says the board would handle any interested people asking them about their vision of the National Federation of the Blind and what they feel they could bring to the position. Anyone interested should contact Carmen or Kelly.
Elections will be the first meeting in October. officers will be elected from the floor at that time.
Terms are Two years for president, vice-president, secretary and treasurer.
Trustees serve for  one year.
Someone had a question about the duties of a trustee.
Carmen will send the Officers duties to the list.

White Cane
Carmen has a list of people who are geographically  close to us who ordered the free white cane.
There is one in Riverside, one in Hesperia and one in Claremont. We need to call them and put them on the guest list.
We need a committee to handle this.
Paulina is willing to help Carmen contact these people.

Book Club
When is a good time to have another social night?
Board Proposes Friday August 14th 6:00pm.
Everyone picked Friday August 14th 5:30pm to talk about the current book which is:
Haben: the deafblind woman who conquered Harvard Law DB96188<https://nlsbard.loc.gov/nlsbardprod/download/detail/srch/DB96188>

Open Discussion

Technology meeting?
Angela moved that we meet Friday August 21st at 5:30pm to 6:30pm.
Seconded by Barbra
Approved.

Carmen will generate a Zoom link and send it to the chapter list.

Adjournment
Angela moves to adjourn
Barbara seconds.
All in favor!