[Riverside-San-Bernardino] Resource documents on transportation regarding ADA

Amanda Winkler awcactuscat1 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 27 21:45:26 UTC 2020

Sorry, I did not see the information about this conference call until it was too late. Here is the resources that were sent that you can read

Amanda Winkler

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ron Brooks via ACB-L <acb-l at acblists.org>
Date: August 27, 2020 at 10:48:35 AM PDT
Subject: ACB-L Following Up from Inaugural "To Mobility and Beyond" Community Call & Additional Resources

Hello ACB Members and Friends,

If you were able to join us last night for the inaugural call of the new series, To Mobility and Beyond, I want to thank you for being there, and I want to provide some additional transportation resources mentioned during last night’s call. But first, I want to acknowledge our speakers, Dawn Sweet and John Day, both of the Federal Transit Administration’s Office of Civil Rights, for their informative and helpful remarks and for answering numerous questions about transit and paratransit, and especially about recent developments in response to the ongoing COVID=-19 pandemic. Additionally, thanks to Sheila Styron, Chair of the ACB Transportation Committee, and Becky Davidson, Chair of the Environmental Access Committee, for their support and assistance. Finally, I want to acknowledge my co-host, Karen Gourgey, a long-time transit and pedestrian access advocate from New York City. Karen, it was great working with you. And now, let’s get to those resources.

FTA’s 2015 ADA Circular

In 2015, the Federal Transit Administration issued updated guidance as well as a series of promising practices pertaining to transit and paratransit service delivery. Although it’s 300 pages long, the FTA’s 2015 ADA Circular, “FTA Circular 4710.1 – Americans with Disabilities Act Guidance” is divided into informative chapters on every aspect of transit and paratransit service, and it is chocked full of information that should address just about any question you may have about accessible transit or paratransit service. You can read, print or download the document yourself or download your own copy here:
https://www.transit.dot.gov/sites/fta.dot.gov/files/docs/Final_FTA_ADA_Circular_C_4710.1.pdf

FTA’s Office of Civil Rights

Both of our speakers are employees of the Federal Transit Administration’s Office of Civil Rights, which has responsibility for enforcement activities associated with the ADA, with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act and with the Disadvantaged Business Enterprise program. The FTA’s Office of Civil Rights maintains a website which houses a wealth of information and links to everything from COVID-19 related guidance to the process for filing ADA complaints. You can learn more here.
https://www.transit.dot.gov/regulations-and-guidance/civil-rights-ada/civil-rightsada

Filing an ADA Complaint Regarding Transit or Paratransit Service

Our speakers encourage everyone to work with their local transit agencies and paratransit providers when services fails. But if a transit agency or paratransit provider is not resolving disability-related complaints, or when an agency or provider refuses to address a recurring complaint, customers are invited to file a formal ADA complaint with the Federal Transit Administration’s Office of Civil Rights. To learn more, visit:
https://www.transit.dot.gov/regulations-and-guidance/civil-rights-ada/file-complaint-fta

FTA’s ADA-Related Guidance to Transit During the COVID-19 Pandemic

A number of questions came up about decisions being made and communicated by transit and paratransit providers since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic. The FTA has issued eighteen guidance documents in response to transit industry questions about service during the pandemic. To read this guidance or to learn about other aspects of the FTA’s guidance during the ongoing health emergency, visit:
https://www.transit.dot.gov/coronavirus

There is much more than could be said, but in the interest of everyone’s time and attention, I’ll close by inviting you to stay tuned for future To Mobility and Beyond calls. The next will take place in September, and it will be hosted by Sheila Styron, Chair of the ACB Transportation Committee. Sheila will be facilitating a discussion of what ACB members and friends find helpful, useful, difficult and frustrating about public transit, how people use public transit, and what people wish could be better. Watch your email box and ACB’s social media feeds for more information.

Until then, I wish you a week filled with health, safety, happiness and everything else you hold dear.

Ron Brooks, Member
ACB Transportation Committee