[Riverside-San-Bernardino] {Spam?} Guide for Local and State Leaders Officers Duties

Carmen Weatherly cweatherly101 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 04:51:48 UTC 2020

Hello Riverside San Bernardino Chapter Members,

Election October 10, 2020 is approaching fast. If you want to become  an officer. You must know what your duties are, and your responsibilities.
 It's very important to know.

Here's the information below:

Guide for Local and State Leaders
National Federation of the Blind
Officers Duties

President
Dr. Kenneth Jernigan was our second outstanding national president, following founding president Dr. Jacobus tenBroek.  He explained that leadership does not automatically come to a person just because he or she is elected to office.  He said that you must take leadership.  By this, he meant that a leader must take initiative in keeping with the understandings and goals of the organization.  We expect our presidents to lead in a variety of ways, such as the following:  make proposals to the organization, stay well-informed about what the NFB is doing beyond the chapter, serve as spokesman for the organization in activities outside the chapter, contact members to see how they are coming with their projects, ask for and give advice.  If someone is unhappy with what is going on in the chapter, the president must attempt to answer questions and concerns that person has. The president must try to avoid problems and solve them when they occur.
The NFB has a history of strong presidents.  We expect our presidents to manage the expenditures of the organization, to appoint and coordinate the work of committees, to plan agendas of meetings, and to preside at meetings.  Presidents grow into the job over a period of months or years.

Of course, in order for a person to be elected, the membership must believe that he or she will make good decisions.  In addition, the president must have enough skill to work with people within and outside of the organization.  If you have been elected president, you have already demonstrated some of these skills, but do not assume that the hard part is over.  On the other hand, do not expect perfection from yourself.  Each president learns with experience and becomes stronger as his or her term continues.  If the membership is not happy with the work of the president, it can vote him/her out of office at the next election.  This provides the balance to keep strong presidents effective and responsive to the membership.
NFB Constitutions do not provide for term limits.  Many presidents do a better job during their second or third terms than during the first.  We have found that there are so few people who are willing and able to take on the responsibilities of the presidency that we tend to encourage good presidents to continue in office as long as they wish or until someone else is found who can do a better job.  Most good presidents are working to find and groom their successors.  Nevertheless, it is important that presidents stand for reelection periodically, so that it is clear to all that the majority of the members are in support of the president.  The membership must be satisfied with the leadership of the group for the organization to be healthy.
There are many other positions of leadership besides president, but the president should coordinate the work of all leaders.  When an officer decides not to run again (for whatever reason), the group must find the best person to replace that officer.  If someone else in the organization believes he or she can do a better job as president than the existing leader, the Constitution provides that active members in good standing may run for office.  Especially when a chapter is new or very small, there are times when the best leader is reluctant to take on the responsibility.  Do not sell yourself short.  If you are very sure there is a better person in your group, do your best to persuade that individual to run for that office.  If you succeed, it is good for you and good for the chapter.  If you do not succeed, and you want the chapter to thrive and continue to be active, stand for election.  Take the job and do your best.  If you can get the votes, you are probably the right one for the job.  The NFB has many excellent leaders of chapters and state affiliates.  You may be one of them.
The president and vice president of each affiliate and chapter must be blind.  We have found that the principal spokesman of an organization of the blind is most effective when that person is blind.

Role of National President
We expect our national president to carry a very heavy load and to have a lot of power.   In order to be sure the membership is satisfied with his leadership, he must stand for reelection every two years.   Since we expect so much of our president, all the rest of us must help him as much as we can.   We need continually to provide him with information about our activities and problems, about our accomplishments, and about relationships with other programs for the blind.
The most efficient way to provide this information is by letter, unless the data must reach him immediately.   He can read mail at his convenience, while phone calls tend to take more time and are not always convenient.   Because of the President’s busy schedule, e-mail is not generally any faster than regular mail, but he reads e-mail as he can.
What do we expect our president to do?
1.  Manage, hire, and supervise the national staff and the activities of the national office.
2.  Represent us at meetings around the world in negotiations, informative presentations, and cooperative efforts with other programs for the blind.
3.  Manage our finances, including investments and fundraising.
4.  Coordinate with fifty-two state affiliates and twenty-seven plus divisions and attend or send representatives to state conventions and other NFB activities as appropriate.
5.  Appoint committees and supervise their work.
6.  Write and deliver or delegate another person to write and deliver a top-quality banquet speech annually. (Since the 1960s, all banquet speeches have been delivered by the President except in 1990 and 1997 when Dr. Jernigan was the banquet speaker.)
7.  Deliver to the convention an annual Presidential Report of Federation activity.
8.  Preside at conventions and board meetings.
9.  Write stories for Kernel Books.
10.  Write articles for the Monitor.
11.  Coordinate the writing and administration of grants we request and receive for various projects.
12.  Supervise legal and legislative projects of the Federation.
13.  Think up new ideas and implement them.
14.  Allocate space in our buildings to the best advantage and supervise remodeling and construction from time to time.
15.  Prevent problems and solve the ones that cannot be prevented.
It is astonishing that the Federation has found three outstanding men who have been able to do this job so well that the Federation has become the leading force in work with the blind in this country and in the world.   Dr. tenBroek and Dr. Jernigan were outstanding leaders and made very high commitments to the Federation.  Dr. Maurer has continued and accelerated the growth and activities in a way that could never have been anticipated by old timers like me.   It is equally true that our president could not do what he does without coordinating his efforts with the entire membership.   The NFB is truly a movement.  It is exciting to be a part of this work, but work it is! The need continues for more and better leaders to continue to make the country and the world a better place for the blind.  Without the kind of president that Dr. Maurer is, we could not be what we are.

Vice Presidents
Each state affiliate generally has a first vice president and a second vice president.  In a few states there may be one or three vice presidents.  Chapters have one or two.  In the absence of the president, the first vice president must do everything the president would do.  If the president is absent for a meeting, the first vice president should preside.  If the president is on vacation and a member dies or is hospitalized, the first vice president may authorize the customary expression of sympathy (card, flowers, et cetera), unless this responsibility has previously been given to another specific person or committee. If the president has made arrangements to handle a matter during his/her absence, there is no need for anyone to interfere with what has been planned unless there are unexpected circumstances.
For example, the president is called out of town unexpectedly because of a death in his/her family.  There is a chapter social scheduled during the time the president is away.  There is a committee to handle arrangements for the social, but the president was expected to welcome members and guests and make a few comments about the organization.  Normally, the first vice president would work with the committee chair and fill in where the president was expected to speak.  But the committee would still handle the arrangements for the rest of the activities.  In the absence of both the president and the first vice president, the second vice president has the responsibility.  This is rare, but can happen.
Some affiliates and chapters assign specific responsibilities to either or both vice presidents.  These responsibilities may include fundraising, membership, public relations, or other responsibilities.  More often, one or both of these people volunteer for a given job.  This tends to work well, since we tend to take work more seriously when we volunteer to do it.  Most presidents turn to vice presidents for advice and information as needed.
If the president is unable to complete the term, the first vice president succeeds to the presidency, and the second vice president becomes the first vice president.  If both the president and the first vice president are unable to complete their terms, the second vice president succeeds to the presidency.  If the first vice president should decline to serve as president, the second vice president would be in line to move up to the presidency.  Some constitutions may provide something different about the succession, but if nothing is specified, the natural succession is as described above.
Secretary
Some organizations have two secretaries: a recording secretary and a correspondence secretary.  This practice is neither necessary nor wrong.  The secretary records the minutes of meetings, handles correspondence for the president if requested to do so, keeps a record of paid members, and often keeps records of blind people in the area who have not yet joined the NFB.  Some presidents prefer to handle their own correspondence; and there is nothing wrong with this arrangement.  Either the president or the secretary may store records of the organization.  Whether one or the other has an extra room or closet in his or her home or office may make the difference.  Most chapters and state affiliates accumulate quite a bit of information that should be archived for use as needed.  Secretaries may do their work in print, on the computer, or in Braille.

Treasurer
The principal job of the treasurer is to take care of the finances of the organization under the direction of the president.  Presidents should authorize treasurers to write checks.  Authorization may be accomplished merely by signing bills to request that they be paid or by using a form like the sample printed here.
Treasurers should keep detailed records of all expenditures and income of the organization and sign checks.  Treasurers should make reports at chapter meetings and board meetings as requested.  Correct treasurers’ reports at meetings should not be merely a listing of checks.  Treasurers should keep records of what is spent by category, such as fundraising cost, membership, supplies, phone, travel (including local), etc.  Categories for income are also appropriate: donations, dues, candy sale or fundraising, etc.  Even if the chapter has previously voted to spend money ($100 for a door prize for national convention, for example), the president should still write an authorization to permit the treasurer to write the check.  If the president prefers to have the treasurer bring authorization forms to him or her for signing after reading of the treasurer’s report, this approach will work.
There may be repeat expenditures, which can be authorized for a period of time.  For example, a president may authorize the payment of a local phone bill for a year by showing that up to $---- should be paid monthly to the phone company as bills are received.  If phone bills exceed the specified amount, the president would need to be consulted.
It is my recommendation that both the president and the treasurer review bank statements.  Many state constitutions require that the treasurer must be bonded.  This should not be necessary for chapters unless they have large amounts of money.  Bonding costs at least $100 per year.
In order to establish a bank account, an organization must have a tax identification number (TIN) from the IRS.  The IRS can assign this number by telephone.  Assignment of a TIN does not establish that your group is nonprofit according to Section 501(c)(3) of the IRS code.  All fifty-two state affiliates of the Federation are now tax-exempt.  Chapters need not apply for a separate 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status.  In some states, all chapters use the same tax identification number.  If this is the case, chapter treasurers need to report enough information to the state treasurer so that the 990 (the required IRS form for nonprofit tax-exempt organizations) can be filed correctly.
Nonprofit organizations are required to file 990 tax returns with the IRS each year on or before May 15 if the group has received $25,000 or more during the previous fiscal year.  Thus, most state affiliates must file 990s, but most chapters need not.  Nonprofit organizations are not required to pay taxes, only to file the returns.  We have found it desirable in the NFB to provide some help to states and chapters that must file.  At the 2007 National Convention, President Marc Maurer directed that Charles Brown provide this help.  Mr. Brown resides in Virginia and works part-time at the National Center for the Blind in Baltimore.  He can be reached by e-mail at cbrown at nfb.org.  Ron Gardner, president of the National Federation of the Blind of Utah, also works with state affiliates and chapters on finance.
Board Members
Each state affiliate or local chapter constitution specifies the number of board members
to be elected and how long they should serve.  Board members should contribute to the
organization as they wish and as asked.  Boards may meet by conference telephone call or in person.  Most state boards meet at least twice a year, and chapter boards meet as frequently or rarely as they wish.  Although their specific responsibilities are not defined, board members should be in touch with other members, help set the tone of the organization, participate in activities and generally provide leadership.  It may be helpful for the boards of active chapters to discuss matters and make recommendations to the membership to save time at meetings.  In small chapters, the officers may comprise the entire board.  Sometimes board members volunteer to chair committees.  Presidents are not required to make these appointments, but often will be pleased to do so.  The best board members are elected because they are already leaders.
Role of National Board
The NFB Board of Directors has seventeen members.  It confers with the president and assists as possible.   The board consists largely of elected state presidents, so it should be representative of the membership.  Each board member stands for election or reelection nationally every two years.   The board holds an open meeting the day before the general sessions begin at each national convention.   It generally holds conference-call meetings at frequent intervals between conventions, and it meets in person at least once between
conventions for a two-day meeting.
There are very few things that board members do that others cannot.   Voting on board decisions may be the only one.   Many other NFB leaders confer with the president, provide him with information, assist with a variety of projects, and represent the organization at meetings when asked.   By long-standing tradition and (more recently) by constitutional requirement, the National Nominating Committee consists of one delegate from each affiliate at the choice of the affiliate.   This committee recommends one slate for board positions open at any given convention.   The committee seeks geographic representation and strong leaders: in short, a group who will work together in the best interest of the organization.   If the nominating committee does its work well, it is unlikely that people not on the slate will be elected.   However, nominations can be made from the floor, and opportunity for this is always afforded.
Board members take their responsibilities seriously.   But they know that it is necessary to bring new and younger people into positions of leadership, as they are ready.   Thus, one or more board members may decline to stand for reelection at any convention.
Dues
Dues should be paid annually.  The amount of dues is up to the chapter or affiliate.  Most NFB affiliates, chapters, and divisions keep dues low (anywhere from $1 to $25).  We do not want the amount of dues to prevent good people from joining.  Most chapters also collect dues for their state affiliates and send them to the state treasurers.  Thus, a local chapter may collect $5 dues per year and send $1 or $2 of this amount to the state treasurer for state dues.  When dues are paid to the chapter treasurer, names and addresses of the members should be given to the secretary.  If a member does not pay dues every year, his/her membership is discontinued.  It is a good idea to announce that dues will be due a month or two before they must be paid, so members can come to the meeting prepared.
Members-at-large are those who live in an area where there is no local chapter, and they should pay their dues directly to the state treasurer.  The amount is set by the state board or by the membership.  There are no national dues.
Section 14.  Committees
The president appoints all committees unless otherwise specified by the constitution.  The NFB National Constitution provides that the state delegates shall appoint the nominating committee, but this is generally not done in the states.  Some chapters require standing committees, such as membership or fundraising.  This is up to the group.  Some chapters have fallen into the practice of having their presidents appoint only chairmen of committees, then expecting the chairmen to recruit the other members.  My experience shows me that appointments will be taken more seriously if made by presidents.  Presidents may rely on recommendations from chairmen or request volunteers, but committee members are often more responsive if they are asked to serve by presidents.  Appointment of committee chairmen by the president may also help presidents monitor the work of committees.
Chapter meetings may consider any matter the president or membership wish.  However, committees often bring recommendations to the membership.  Decisions can be made more quickly and will often be better decisions if a small group has given previous consideration.  For example, it is more efficient for a committee to check out dates when certain locations will be available for a Christmas party.  A committee may research items for a fundraiser and make a recommendation about what to do and how to do it.  A committee may check out transportation to a state or national convention, enabling the chapter to make faster and better decisions about support that could be offered for this purpose.  A committee may work out the details of a public education event (parade, demonstration, an awards luncheon).  The chapter may wish to adopt part of the proposal and make some changes, but the process works better if the entire group does not try to plan the whole event from scratch.
Many chapter presidents appoint committees to handle certain long-term projects, such as public speaking, monitoring public transit, fundraising, etc.  These committees should report regularly to the membership at business meetings, and they may ask the chapter for decisions on some questions.  The work of committees saves time at meetings, but it is important for the entire group to be informed of the committees’ activities.  Frequently, a smaller group works together more efficiently to get projects accomplished, and much work can be done by committees between meetings.  Most constitutions provide that the president is an ex officio member of all committees, meaning that the president can attend the committee meetings but is not required to do so.  The precedent in the NFB is that the president does not attend the meeting of the nominating committee.
Section 15.  Divisions
The NFB has organized many special interest divisions, which are listed below.  Each division has adopted its own constitution and submitted it to the NFB President.  The NFB Board of Directors votes to extend division status to each division after it applies.  Divisions elect their own officers.  Every division has the authority to address problems in its area of interest, print its own letterhead and newsletter, plan its own meetings, form state divisions if there is enough interest, raise funds as long as it is not competing with other parts of the organization, and generally promote the interests of the blind as described in its constitution.
Division officers have similar responsibilities to those of state and chapter officers.  It is extremely important that division leaders coordinate with the national president and any other groups within the Federation that may be involved in related projects.  For example, NAPUB (National Association to Promote the Use of Braille) and NOPBC (National Organization of Parents of Blind Children) jointly sponsor the annual Braille Readers Are Leaders contests for blind children.
Each national division holds a meeting during the national convention.  Each national division must provide a list of its elected officers and board members to the NFB president after each annual meeting.  Many divisions hold other meetings between conventions.  Some state divisions have chapters that address issues on a state and local basis and meet during the state conventions.
Below is a list of the names of the NFB divisions operating at the time of this writing.  You will find the names of division presidents on the Web site at www.nfb.org.  You will find their meeting times in NFB convention agendas.  Even though we are giving very little space here to the work of NFB divisions, we do not wish to undervalue their activities.  All members are encouraged to contact division leaders and participate in one or more divisions.  Today NFB divisions are an important part of the work of the movement.
NFB Divisions
Agriculture and Equestrian Division
Classics, Antiques, and Rods, Special Interest Vehicles (CARS) Deaf-Blind Division
Diabetes Action Network for the Blind Human Services Division
Masonic Square Club National Association of the Blind in Communities of Faith
National Association of Blind Entrepreneurs National Association of Blind Lawyers
National Association of Blind Merchants National Association of Blind Musicians
National Association of Blind Office Professionals National Association of Blind Piano Tuners
National Association of Blind Rehabilitation Professionals National Association of Blind Students
National Association of Blind Veterans National Association of Guide Dog Users (NAGDU)
National Association to Promote the Use of Braille (NAPUB) National Federation of the Blind in Computer Science
National Organization of Blind Educators National Organization of Parents of Blind Children (NOPBC)
National Organization of the Senior Blind NFB Assistive Technology Trainers Division
Performing Arts Division
Public Employees Division
Science and Engineering Division
Sports and Recreation Division
Travel and Tourism Division
Writers Division
Groups
Groups are informal gatherings that occur because someone in the Federation wishes to meet with others regarding a certain matter.  If a group becomes effective, it may wish to change itself into a division or ask the president to appoint a committee.  If the group wishes to become a division, someone will need to plan with others to adopt a constitution, elect officers, and apply for division status.
There are many groups in the Federation that have been meeting at conventions for years, such as ham radio operators and science fiction fans.  There are other groups that meet once or several times, and that is the end of it.  Divisions and committees deal with matters that affect a certain group of blind people or an aspect of the Federation.  Groups can deal with anything that may or may not be significant to blind people.

Local Chapter Meetings
The monthly business meeting of the chapter is for the purposes of conducting business, (making decisions about what to do and how to do it), informing members about state and national NFB activities, hearing committee reports, taking in new members, helping members to be well informed about matters pertaining to blindness, and helping members to get to know each other better.  The president should plan the agenda and preside at meetings.  The secretary should call the role, read the minutes from the last meeting, and take notes. The treasurer should report on current financial activities.  There may be a speaker, but this is probably best every second or third month, so that regular NFB business is not neglected or rushed.
It is generally a good idea to have a calling committee contact all members a few days before each meeting to remind them of the time and place.  E-mail reminders may be best for some members.  It may also be desirable to have someone coordinate transportation to the meetings for those who need it.
Local chapter meetings usually last from two to three hours.  Presidents should find ways to keep the meetings interesting and fast-paced.  It is not possible to get all the work done and to have sufficient discussion among members if the meetings are too short.  Many chapters include some sort of social activity before or after the business meetings.  Between business meetings, there may be committee meetings, board meetings, work sessions on certain projects, social activities, visitations to other chapters, work with agencies serving the blind, meetings with prospective or new members, and participation in state or national NFB activities or other kinds of activities.  NFB members should never get bored or run out of work to do.  In large chapters, no one can do everything.
Presidential Releases
The NFB President sends a cassette tape known as a Presidential Release to each chapter and state president about once a month.  Chapter presidents are expected to play each of these tapes at the next business meeting after they are received.  Since chapter meetings in different localities occur at different times of the month, it is impossible to get each tape to each chapter just in time for its meeting, so there will be occasions when the news is much more current than others.  The more these tapes are played, the better-informed chapter members will become and the more they will want to hear the tapes.  Playing these tapes assists new and old members to know what is going on in the Federation throughout the country and at the national office.  It also helps them learn to recognize names of people in the movement.  Best of all, it helps members get to know our national president and what he is doing and thinking.  Each tape is less than one-half hour in length; so local presidents can plan accordingly.  When a new chapter or state president is elected, it is important that he/she informs the NFB President of the outgoing and the incoming president, so that presidential releases can be sent to the correct person.  You can provide this information by e-mail, fax, United States mail, or by telephone.
Presidential releases are also posted on the NFB Web site.  Some members may be able to listen to presidential releases this way.  In most chapters, however, there are still many people who are not able to read the presidential releases from the Web site.  If a member has the right equipment, it may be possible to download the presidential releases directly from the Web site and play them at the chapter meeting instead of waiting for the cassette tape to arrive, thereby making sure that the most recent presidential release is always played at each meeting.

Braille Monitor
Our national monthly magazine is the Braille Monitor, which has become by far the most influential publication in work with the blind.  It is available in large print, on cassette, by e-mail, and in Braille.  It is also posted as both text and audio on the NFB Web site at www.nfb.org.  The audio recordings often include original recordings of speeches by the individuals who wrote and delivered them.  All members of the NFB should subscribe to and read the Braille Monitor.  Some chapters ask various individuals to report on certain articles during regular business meetings, which may help new members to understand the significance of some of our activities and projects.
Requests for subscriptions should be sent to the Braille Monitor, 1800 Johnson Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21230.  It is essential that each subscription request specify the medium (Braille, large print, cassette, etc.) that is desired.  Address change requests must also include which medium is wanted and which medium is being dropped for each subscription.  Braille Monitor subscriptions may be sent in by the chapter secretary, president, or by the member himself.  Individuals may also subscribe to a text version of the Braille Monitor by e-mail; instructions on how to do so are available at www.nfb.org.  Click on Publications, then on the Braille Monitor.  On the Braille Monitor page of the NFB Web site, you may also read the most recent and many past issues of the magazine.  There is no charge for the Braille Monitor, but many members and chapters make annual contributions for it.
Members are welcome to send information or articles to the Braille Monitor for consideration by the editor. You will observe that there is a series of announcements in most issues of the Monitor called “Monitor Miniatures.”  As you read the information, you will realize that announcements about occurrences in your chapter can be printed in the Monitor.  In order for this to happen, you must send the information to the editor.  Other articles are also welcome.
In the print issue of the Monitor, there are pictures, which are identified in the other media.  Send in pictures of people in your chapter and pictures of activities in which you participate.  Pictures are filed at the national office and may be used in other publications besides the Braille Monitor.  Pictures in the Braille Monitor have become very popular among readers.
Take full advantage of the Braille Monitor.  Read it carefully, and send to the editor appropriate information.

General Information
Chapters and states need money to do all the things discussed in Part IV and to support all the NFB services described in Part VI of this guide.  Chapters may wish to join the local chamber of commerce as a means of participating in community activities and to educate the public about blindness and the NFB.  It is not appropriate to distribute Federation money to members personally unless it is to reimburse them for organizational activities and expenses.
Chapter and State Fundraising
This author’s definition of a good fundraising activity for a chapter or state affiliate is: “Something that the members get excited about and that members want to work on.”  Some individuals have personally arranged projects that are appropriate and successful.
One high school girl got her school to do a project for the NFB.  One member collected pennies from others at meetings.  One member held a Tupperware party for the chapter.  One member rode the back of a tandem bike in a major cycling event and took pledges on his ride.  All of these are excellent ideas.  However, most fundraisers involve many members.  Many chapter fundraisers are relatively simple and straightforward.  These include candy sales, raffles or drawings, walk-a-thons, dinners or dances, etc.  Below is a list of good fundraising projects.  If you have questions about any of them, contact a state president or a national board member.  Fundraising can be a lot of fun and is almost always combined with education of the public about blindness.  This stimulates blind people to try new activities.  Special events will be discussed in a later section.
Fundraising Suggestions
Local chapters and state affiliates of the National Federation of the Blind may choose any of dozens of fundraising projects.  They should not contract with professionals without conferring with the NFB President.  However, almost anything else imaginable may work.  With time and experience, strong chapters can raise tens of thousands of dollars each year.  This gives them the opportunity to have all the money they need and assist the state and national organizations.
Recently, several states sent representatives who enjoy fundraising to a meeting.  One project was to compile a list of some of the things that one or more chapters do as successful fundraisers.  With imagination and energy any chapter can do several of these projects a year.
DRAWINGS
• Handmade quilt, afghan, sweater, scarf
• Appliances, donated merchandise from stores
• Money (50/50 for winner & organization or specific amount)
• Baskets (food baskets, collections of cosmetics, many items for an evening’s entertainment, or any collection of items)
SALES
• Sale of specially designed items such as T-shirts, canvas bags, hats, et al
• Bake sale, garage sale, candy sale, craft sale
• Sell NFB jewelry, NFB art calendars, coupon books, and used books
• Donated products sold from businesses or percentage of sale donations (i.e. coffee sales in restaurant on White Cane Safety Day)
• Book sales in bookstores on Louis Braille’s birthday
• Evergreen wreathes available from Frank Likar before Christmas, stuffed Christmas stockings, ice cream at an ice cream social
TICKET SALES
Dances, barbecues, luncheons, banquets, dinners (spaghetti, chili, Italian, etc.) concerts, gospel extravaganzas, talent/variety shows, etc.
SEEK MEMORIALS
CAR WASH
COLLECT CHANGE AT MEETINGS
EVENTS
• Entry fees, business sponsors, pledges
• Walk-a-thon, bowl-a-thon, dance-a-thon, bike-a-thon
BOOTHS AND TABLES
• Fairs, festivals, conventions, shopping malls, etc.
• Sell items such as food, beverages, helium balloons, Kernel Books
• Collect donations
• Distribute information
• Write names in Braille
Note: Booths may have both free items and items at a charge.
AUCTIONS
Traditional auctions, silent auctions, Chinese auctions, art auctions, auctions combined with a meal or concert
SELL ADVERTISING
For state convention agendas or for other special events
GRANTS
Apply for general grants or grants for specific purposes, such as scholarships, NFB-NEWSLINE®, equipment, helping new people go to conventions, providing “Braille Is Beautiful” kits to schools, etc.
WRITE SOMETHING TO SELL
Cook books, coloring books, etc.
BUSINESS OFFERS
Barnes & Noble, Wal-Mart, or Outback Steak House (contact store managers for more information)
MEMBER PLEDGES
At state convention to state treasury or PAC
ITEMS GROUP CAN MAKE FOR SALE
Candy wreathes, Hershey’s Kisses roses, wooden crafts, greeting cards, etc.
Use your imagination!
If you wish to exchange ideas about how to do any of these fundraisers, you can join the listserv, nfb-fundraising at nfbnet.org.  If you ask for advice, you will get it.  Each chapter will have to make its own decisions.  If there is one person who is enthusiastic about fundraising in your chapter, the enthusiasm will be contagious.
As a chapter or a committee within a chapter gains experience with the kinds of fundraisers mentioned in this list, the group may wish to take on even bigger projects.  Not every chapter wants or needs to do big events.  Fundraising, from the little projects to the huge ones, can be challenging, stimulating, strengthening to individuals and chapters, and very rewarding.  Of course we need the money, but the benefits of fundraising beyond the income are every bit as important and exciting as the money itself!

PAC
The Pre-Authorized Check (PAC) plan is a system whereby members can support our national activities by having a specified donation withdrawn from their checking accounts on a monthly basis.  It is necessary to fill out a PAC form to instruct the NFB accounting staff and your bank regarding your wishes.
There are two parts to the form—one to be kept at NFB headquarters, and one to be sent to your bank.  You must sign both parts of the form.  When beginning a new PAC Plan, be sure to include a voided check on your account when you send in your PAC form, or include the route transit number of your bank, which can be located on the bottom of your checks or requested by calling the bank.  If you wish to increase the amount to be withdrawn each month, no check is necessary.  The minimum monthly amount that can be contributed through PAC is $5.
This system was designed for individual members, and many are proud to participate.  Some chapters and state affiliates also contribute through PAC, and this is appreciated.  However, it should not be considered a replacement for individual PAC donations.  The amount of individual PAC contributions is kept confidential.  If members do not have checking accounts, it is not possible for them to donate through PAC.  Other donations are certainly appreciated, however.
We rank state affiliates as to how much each donates through PAC.  Many members watch this ranking carefully and find it stimulating to notice the states that are just ahead or just behind our own.  This is especially true when it is possible to move up in the rankings.
Non-PAC donations from states are counted separately.  Whether they are received as
one-time gifts or in some other manner, they are still very helpful.
Imagination Fund
Many of us have friends, family members, and business associates who are aware that we are active in a national organization of the blind that makes a lot of difference to all of us.  Some of us know community leaders who may help.  Often they do not wish to become active members but would be happy to support our work.  These are potential contributors to the Imagination Fund.  This fund was started in order to expand our financial resources to help pay for the work of the Jernigan Institute, but it does much more than that.  One quarter of the money raised is divided evenly among the fifty-two state affiliates.  A second quarter of the money raised is available for grants that can be made to states for special projects.
There should be at least one Imagination Fund Coordinator in each state and as many others to help as possible.  These people are called “Imaginators.”  Imaginators can raise money in several ways.  They can make donations themselves.  They can ask their friends and associates for donations.  We know and meet people who want to support programs that benefit the blind, and it is up to us to tell them how much the NFB is doing.  Many of our friends and associates are interested in our work and will support it financially.  We must find ways to ask appropriately.  At the time of this writing, we are still learning how to make this kind of fundraising most lucrative.  We will keep working at it until we get all the details in place.  You may order Imagination Fund brochures and return envelopes from the NFB Independence Market.
Anyone who raises $250 or more can march in the March for Independence at the next national convention.
SUN
Since the NFB depends on public donations and we are an advocacy organization, we are trying to build a reserve fund in case of trouble.  This fund is called Shares Unlimited for NFB (SUN).
Individuals, chapters, state affiliates, and divisions make donations to the SUN fund as they can.  These funds are invested and kept as a reserve.  Some members have chosen to make a monthly contribution to SUN by automatic withdrawal from their checking accounts in a way similar to the PAC Plan.  Yellow forms are available for this purpose.  Most members and many chapters and state affiliates choose to make donations to the SUN fund quarterly or annually.  Reminders can be sent from our national office for either of these schedules.
 Jernigan Fund
Shortly before the death of Dr. Jernigan, some people decided to create a special fund in honor of our longtime, great leader.  The purpose of the fund is to provide scholarships of various types to members of the Federation.  The first scholarships have been awarded to make it possible for new members to attend our national convention.  As the principal grows, additional scholarships may also be offered.  Contributions to the Jernigan Fund should be made out to the NFB with “Jernigan Fund” written in the memo of the check.  Announcements of scholarships being offered each spring appear in the Braille Monitor or on presidential release tapes.
We continue to collect donations for the Jernigan Fund, and members and chapters continue to make them.  We have not worked a lot to solicit this money.  Some committee members organize activities to benefit this fund at our national conventions.  Of course, the benefits of the fund provide motivation to support it, and many of us wish to honor Dr. Jernigan by supporting this fund.
Contracts with Professional Fundraisers
Ordinarily, local chapters do not hire or contract professional fundraisers.  Some state affiliates do.  When this is done, it is essential that the contracts or agreements be written and executed properly.  If errors are made, the entire organization can be damaged.  Therefore, anytime a part of the NFB wishes to do business with a professional fundraiser, it is necessary to have the NFB President or someone he designates review the contract.
Model contracts can often be provided if it is helpful.  If the fundraiser has a contract for us to sign, this may be acceptable or modifications may be necessary.  The NFB President will direct state presidents how to proceed, depending on the scope and nature of the activity and commitment.
At one time the most common type of fundraising contract was made with telephone fundraisers.  Although many of these companies are doing excellent work, they are under attack and may not be able to continue to operate as they now do.  It is possible to contract companies to manage events, and this can be considered.  Some chapters manage their own events successfully.
It is standard procedure, when fundraising contracts are used, for the state affiliate to divide the income in half, giving half to the national treasury.  Many chapters and state affiliates do this with income from all fundraising projects.  A chapter may wish to keep one-third of the income; donate one-third to the state affiliate; and one-third to the national treasury.  Members are often proud to do this when it is discussed.
Special Events
It is possible to raise large amounts of money by planning and holding special events.  An event may be a dinner, dance, auction, concert, walk-a-thon, or other kind of get-together.  Sometimes two or more of these things can be combined in one evening.  Consult state or national leaders with experience in this type of event to help you plan one.  Most would be glad to share their experiences with others.
It is essential to work with other organizations and individuals in the community outside our own chapters in order to build the event into a major occurrence.  Relationships must be built over months and years to make this cooperative effort most effective.  We must make friends through business contacts and other social and civic organizations.  We must turn over some aspects of the work to others so that they feel good about helping.  However, we must control what is said about blindness and the NFB.  Each chapter will gradually learn how to do this and gradually add new sponsors and names to invite.  There was a time when we expected an event to raise $1,000 or less.  We must raise our expectations.  We can increase net income from $1,000 to $5,000 or to $10,000.  Then we can increase from $10,000 to $25,000 or to $50,000.  The gala held October 19, 2001, to celebrate the groundbreaking of our new Jernigan Institute building at our national headquarters, raised a net income of $150,000.  How soon can we top that?  I expect it will not be too long.
In Boise, Idaho, a city of less than a quarter million people, the Treasure Valley Chapter of the NFB holds two events a year: a bike-a-thon called Cycle for Independence and a Community Recognition Dinner.  Between September of 2005 and June of 2006 we raised more than $15,000 (at least 60 percent net income), and we are hoping to continue to improve both events.  In addition to raising funds, both events help us get to know more people in the community.  At our Community Recognition Dinner, we also present awards to individuals who have been helpful to the blind.  It takes a lot of work, but we find it is very much worth the effort.  In Charlotte, NC, our chapter raised $7,000 the first year of its walk-a-thon.
Section 54.  Fundraising Goals
Would you like to be a part of this sort of event?  We must dream before the reality can come to pass.  My wish for chapters and state affiliates is that they have enough confidence in their fundraising ability that they do not worry about it.  They can spend what they want because they know they can raise more.  Of course, it takes some experience with successful fundraisers for the membership to adopt this approach.  I regard fundraising as FUN!  I expect it to work, and I am prepared to do what it takes to make it work.  At least one of the members in a chapter needs to take this attitude.  If some do, others will pick it up.  Gradually, the group will come to understand that fundraising can work.  I want us to be optimistic about our ability to raise funds, and I want us to be able to spend a lot.  I personally believe the Federation will be most effective when we can afford to have an office and at least one employee (part-time at first if necessary) in every state.  In large states we may need more than one office.  I hope this day is not too far in the future.  I am happy to share my experience if asked.
One more thing should be said about fundraising and money.  In the Federation, we do not borrow.  If we cannot afford to do something, it must wait.  We are not afraid of challenges or work, but we must not spend publicly contributed funds or member donations on interest.  And we must not risk what we work so hard to raise.  Thus, we should spend what we have and know that we can raise more, but we must never, ever spend more than we have.
back to contents

CHAPTER VI.  NFB PROGRAMS AND SERVICES
Section 55.  NFB-NEWSLINE®
Because of the work of the National Federation of the Blind, every blind person in the country may have access to daily newspapers.  For the first time ever, NFB-NEWSLINE® provides the kind of access to newspapers that sighted people have.  More than 250 newspapers are on the system, and at least forty states have the service.  In addition, there are several national magazines available to blind readers in all fifty states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico.  All blind people should sign up for the service.
Each reader is issued a six-digit personal identification number and a four-digit security code by either the NEWSLINE coordinator at NFB headquarters or by the state sponsor.  Participating newspapers simply send their text each morning to the NFB-NEWSLINE® computer which translates the text into high-quality synthesized speech.  The blind person is connected with the service by dialing the toll-free number (888-882-1629) or by dialing a local number if available, on a touch-tone telephone and pressing his or her identification number and security code when prompted.  The subscriber chooses a newspaper by pushing buttons on the touch-tone keypad and moves through the paper in much the same way a sighted person would.  There are several sections of each paper.  One can choose to read certain articles or parts of articles as desired.  There is no charge for this service.  If a local number is available to access the service, it should be used instead of the toll-free number in order to help defray the cost of the service.  Some newspapers can also be sent in DAISY book form to a reader by e-mail, and this delivery method also helps the organization save money.  The e-mailed files can be read on a personal computer, digital talking book player, Braille notetaker, or other device capable of handling DAISY files.
Any legally blind person who wishes to sign up for NFB-NEWSLINE® should contact the national office or the sponsor in his or her state.  All members are urged to take advantage of this service.  Each state affiliate has the responsibility of finding the money to pay for the service, known as the state NEWSLINE sponsor.  In some states the rehabilitation agency has found the funds; in some cases the library for the blind has done so; in other states there have been special appropriations from the legislatures; in other states members have applied for and received grants from private foundations and corporations.  Members of the NFB should be involved when libraries or rehabilitation agencies are seeking funds from the legislature.  You will need to ask your state president or other NFB leaders to learn more about your state’s NFB-NEWSLINE® service and funding.
State sponsors and NFB members can work to add daily newspapers to NFB-NEWSLINE®.  For more information about doing so, contact the NFB-NEWSLINE® director at the NFB headquarters.
Local chapters should be sure that blind individuals in the area know of this service, know how to apply for it, and know how to use it.  Local chapters should be sure that local libraries and other service providers are supplying application forms and encouraging applicants to sign up.  Since people are continually losing vision, there will be those who know little or nothing about NFB-NEWSLINE® for some time to come.
NFB-NEWSLINE® has a local channel which can be used by the state sponsor to provide information of special interest to the blind.  NFB-NEWSLINE® ordinarily does not include information which is already accessible in some other format.