[Social-sciences-list] introduction

Kresmer, Anna AKresmer at nfb.org
Tue Jul 24 13:34:19 UTC 2012

Hello everyone,

As archivist for the tenBroek Library, I am deeply interested in and committed to making historical research accessible to blind researchers. In the past, archives and special collections have not been particularly open to researchers with disabilities. Reading rooms are often ill-equipped to provide services to researchers needing access accommodations and this can make research seem prohibitive. Even with the advent of the web and the push to put digitized collection materials online, the need to ensure that these materials are accessible to print disabled patrons is often neglected. At the tenBroek Library, accessibility is one of our core values and I work closely with researchers to ensure they get the information they need.

Although my work is not with scientists and patrons conducting quantitative data, I am interested in the research processes used by blind researchers in any setting. I am also interested in your experiences working with research materials (both in person and online), as well as with facilities and institutional staff like librarians and archivists.

I look forward to some interesting discussions.

Have a great day,
Anna

Anna K. Kresmer, MSLS
Archivist
Jacobus tenBroek Library
National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute
200 East Wells Street
at Jernigan Place
Baltimore, MD 21230
Telephone: (410) 659-9314, ext. 2310
Email: akresmer at nfb.org

Check out the JtB Library's new archives and manuscripts database, The Cane Tip!
www.nfb.org/thecanetip<http://www.nfb.org/thecanetip>