[Social-sciences-list] Statistics Teaching Methods

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 02:32:09 UTC 2012

Hi Jonathan,
I really want to know how you teach statistics as a blind lecturer,
especially when the software is not accessible. While I am primarily
interested in doing research professionally, I will be applying for
professorships where part of the job duties will involve teaching and
could include teaching stats to undergraduates. I was a teaching
assistant for one class where I taught students how to do calculations
with Graphpad Quickcalcs (a great basic program, BTW) but that class
was for advanced students who already had basic stats.
Do you have a teaching assistant to help you with the inaccessible
software or if not, how do you handle that?
Also, how do you handle the very basic stuff which typically involves
graphical representations of data? (i.e. the normal curve, histograms
etc.)
Do you project calculations from a computer instead of writing on the
blackboard?
Finally, I may write you off-list with R questions since I am trying
to learn it on my own and am running into some issues with data
importing from Excel.
Thanks and best,
Arielle