[Social-sciences-list] introduction

Morman, Ed EMorman at nfb.org
Wed Jul 25 15:01:48 UTC 2012

Dear Listmembers-

I'm pleased to see that my colleague Anna Kresmer has already joined the list.  Like Anna, I am a sighted staff member at the NFB Jernigan Institute in Baltimore.  I have a PhD in History of Science and worked for many years in the field of history of medicine as a librarian, occasional teacher, and not terribly productive researcher.  I know a wee bit about social science research methods and have an avocational (extremely avocational) interest in cognitive science.  Curiosity about how people construct their internal model of the world without sight was part of the reason I was interested in working for an organization related to blindness-especially a blind-led organization of blind people.  I've been here for four years now and I'm enthusiastic about NFB philosophy and its notion of what constitutes proper training.  With Anna Kresmer and our colleague Lou Ann Blake, I've developed something of an understanding of the history of the blind in the U.S. and more specifically the history of the NFB.

I'll mainly be lurking, but might occasionally have something to say.  With any luck it will be intelligent and even possibly helpful to other listmembers.

Cordially,
Ed Morman
Edward T. Morman, MSLS, PhD
Director, Jacobus tenBroek Library
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND JERNIGAN INSTITUTE
200 East Wells Street
   at Jernigan Place
Baltimore MD 21230
410.659.9314 x2225