[Social-sciences-list] Submissions Requested for Stats Resource Guide

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 23:08:23 UTC 2012

Hi all,
While we are discussing different statistical software packages, I
thought this would be as good of a time as any to put out a request
for help with compiling a statistics resource guide for blind students
and researchers. As one of my goals for this new group of blind social
scientists this year, I would like to develop and disseminate a
user-friendly resource guide for blind people to learn how to use the
various statistical programs. I am thinking of a guide where a student
taking introductory stats can look up the program their class is using
and find a page with step-by-step instructions for making the program
accessible and sample syntax for conducting the most basic procedures,
if the program is syntax-driven or if using syntax would facilitate
accessibility. The resource guide I am envisioning would assume
knowledge of beginning statistical concepts. I would also like to
include a good deal of detailed instructions for the free programs
including Excel, Graphpad QuickCalcs and R, so that a beginning stats
student could use one of these instead of paying for a proprietary
license (with instructor permission of course).
I would appreciate if those of you who have expertise with specific
programs could email me a submission for the resource guide. This
could be a link to an existing resource specifically for the blind if
one exists (i.e. Jonathan's R resource) or if none exists, a
step-by-step tutorial for making the program accessible (i.e. how to
edit the accessibility file for SPSS) and then, if the program is
command-driven, a few syntax examples or a link to another website
where a student can learn the syntax (perhaps if their sighted peers
are taught using menus, but the program is more accessible if syntax
is used).
Please send your submissions to
arielle71 at gmail.com
by the end of August if possible.
I can cover Excel, SAS and Graphpad QuickCalcs.
Thanks and best,
Arielle