[Social-sciences-list] Schedule A hiring Authority

Vincent Martin vincent.martin at gatech.edu
Tue Aug 6 16:42:47 UTC 2013

Paul,
That is it.  The name of this center has changed a little bit.  For years,
the actual name was the Center of Excellence for Aging Veterans with
Low-vision.  There are actually over ten different Centers of Excellence for
Rehabilitation Research for Veterans in the country.  Others deal with
hearing and mobility impairments, and anything you can think of that deals
with injured or aging veterans.  Much of it is really related to what
happens to them as they do age, because the vast majority of veterans using
the VA medical system are over the age of fifty. Centers are funded in five
year cycles and can be closed if the research does not seem to be relevant
anymore.   I know one that dealt with medical prosthetics for the eye was
not renewed last year, as the research did not seem to be going anywhere in
over ten years of existence.
Research budgets have been steadily shrinking as the Federal government
shrinks its budget.  If it wasn't for the wars the past decade, there would
be less budget to do research.  Congress rarely adds research dollars to the
budget, unless there is something related to a war!  I could make a heck of
a lot more money in the private sector, but I actually want to do research
and can't get the funding to do so at the level that I want in the private
sector or at the academic level.  I only intend to return to work there,
because the VA spends more money on blindness related research than any
other Agency in the world.  They spend more money on assistive technology
than any other Agency in the world.  Most of all, they waste more money on
assistive technology than any other Agency in the world as well!  I would
love to do more research into what actually does assist a person to make
their life more meaningful.  I would like to see a more Social approach to
the Rehabilitation research process.  This is why I still have been actively
advocating for adding a totally blind researcher with a Social Psychological
background.
In the past, the primary areas of research were in Gerontology and Vision
loss.  With all the years of research, they finally got the VA to understand
that we really don't actually know how people see!  It is definitely much
more Cognitively related than physically related.  A few years ago, five
researchers moved from the VA research facility in Florida and added the
Neurological component to the facility.  Adding in the work that is done at
Emory University and all types of research that deals with the things
related to vision loss are researched.  Dr. Krish Sathian, who is the
director and who used to just be the Medical director is a renowned
Neurologist at Emory University and does all types of research related to
blindness and haptic.  John Sanford, who is also the director of the Center
for Assistive Technology and Environmental Access at Georgia Tech, is one of
the nine individuals that created the Universal Design Principles.  He has
degrees in Psychology and in Architecture!  There are currently two legally
blind researchers on staff as well.  I especially love Dr. Madeleine
Hackney's research into how dance and balance are related, especially with
people that are aging.  She is actually a former Broadway dancer who
completed her Ph.D. at the University of Washington in St. Louis in just
four years.  My former supervisor and mentor has degrees in Electrical
Engineering and in Education.  It was his work with blind researchers that
got him interested in this area about forty years ago.

I will download that book and try and read it before school starts next
week.  I have a brother that is a decorated Army Ranger from Dessert Storm
who is considered 100 percent disabled.  He still thinks he got gassed in
Iraq back in 1991.  In high school, he outran Herschel Walker of NFF fame
for the 100 yard state championship in Georgia and now I can outrun him
backwards and blind.  If we did not have useless wars, we would not have so
many messed up Veterans.  All VA research facilities are associated with a
research University and a VA medical center.