[Social-sciences-list] MPlus Success Story!

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 05:04:00 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Just wanted to share that I learned to use MPlus (software for
analyzing structural equation models, and I think it can also do more
traditional regression) and I found it to be extremely accessible with
JAWS, even more so than SAS. I could easily enter and edit syntax, run
it using a simple menu-based command, and then read the output
directly in the output window and move between input and output. I
also never had to use the JAWS cursor! Though the syntax is fairly
easy to learn, it is also possible to run most MPlus operations using
a menu-based language generator, which is also extremely accessible
(much more so, I think, than SPSS).
Anyway, I would recommend MPlus to any blind folks looking to do
regression-based analyses. I used a free
demo version, which allows input of up to six dependent variables and
up to two independent variables. This is fine for simple regression,
and for structural models involving only one or two exogenous
(independent) variables, but it might not work for multiple
regressions with more than two predictors. However, , there may also
be temporary
licenses available that are more forgiving.
I had someone help me a little bit with syntax, but many syntax
examples are available online, and the command structure is very
intuitive. For example, to regress Y on X you would simply write
(after specifying your datafile and variable names), "model: y on x").
Best,
Arielle