[Social-sciences-list] NVivo review so far

T. Audrey Medina tmm326 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 21:37:21 UTC 2015

Don't know if this sent before:

Hi all,

I thought I'd send you an update about my journey with NVivo so far. I’ve had a number of conversations with folks at the company, and at least the two people I've spoken with (Karen Phinney and Stewart Robertson) said they have never heard from blind researchers before. I told them that I would pass this news along to my blind colleagues, so Nvivo would likely be hearing from a lot more of us. They seem to be interested in screen reader accessibility, and I think if they hear that there is a demand out there, they may actually push the company to make some changes.

Right now, the primary screen interface of NVivo with the multiple panes is not accessible without a mouse. JAWS doesn't identify codes attached to my interview transcripts, and the imported transcripts are a bit tricky to read and navigate. There is, however, a list of hotkeys that help with applying codes and performing other commands. One can also create "Nodes" that include excerpts with their specified codes, and then export the "nodes" back into MS Word for easier navigation with screen-readers.

Both Karen Phinney and Stewart Robertson have some experience with working with PWDs, and they've been very kind and helpful. For example, because I cannot use NVivo very much without sighted assistance (no JAWS scripts yet), they have agreed to providecomplementary licenses for my sighted assistants. In exchange, they have asked me to write a testimonial about the product at the end of my research. This has not been finalized yet, but if it works out, it would be extremely helpful to me. I also think if other people ask for this accommodation in the future, they will have even more incentive to work on accessibility.

Okay, that's basically what I can share. Again, sorry that I don't know anything about NVivo with other screen-readers or word processors. I am definitely not a versatile tech person. I hope the info that I have shared can be helpful to some of you, though.

Best wishes,

Image removed by sender.

Audrey