[Social-sciences-list] Anthropology

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Sat Mar 14 00:01:00 UTC 2015

Hi there,

I’m a little concerned that you care about the mix of male to female participants when you don’t even have a random sampling scheme. Your ability to infer anything for a  population is limited anyway for so many reasons.

If you had suggested that your absolute number of males is less than what you want I would still be concerned but less so.

I know that many surveys are done using convenience sampling of some kind but I seriously hope your course staff are explaining how you can only make comments about your sample respondents and at most suggestive statements about the population the sample may have come from. In simple terms, your sample is biased and aside from a lack of gender balance, it will be very hard to know how it is biased.

Sorry if I sound a little harsh; poor sampling is a hobby horse of mine at present. I’m seeing too many postgraduate students who have not understood the limitations of their research findings because they do not have a random sample. They are not limited to social science students either by the way. Many students we see come to our statistical consulting service are looking at business-oriented research questions.

Jonathan