[Social-sciences-list] Anthropology

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 19:00:32 UTC 2015

Hi all, I agree with Christine. I am a postdoctoral researcher with
several years of stats training and research experience. Yet as a
rehabilitation researcher, studying very specialized populations like
the blind or people with spinal cord injuries, it is virtually
impossible to obtain a truly random sample. We attempt to oversample
certain groups (e.g. males, ethnic minorities, people from lower SES
backgrounds) for this reason. It is generally accepted in the field
that convenience sampling is the best we can find. We acknowledge this
as a limitation in our papers. So I don't see anything wrong with
re-soliciting to certain subgroups of people as Christine described.
Best, Arielle