[Social-sciences-list] Structure equation modelling.

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Wed Jan 10 18:28:15 UTC 2018

Hello Faiz,

I'd encourage other list members to share their software experiences, and you've already heard from me on use of R elsewhere.

I do want to address one of your comments posted here as I think it is something everyone ought to consider.

You state that using a GUI will be more efficient. I suggest to you that if this were true, sighted people would be using a GUI system over writing code much more than is the case. Modern practice is to ensure that you can re-do a job quickly because mistakes and adjustments are common. Using a GUI, you repeat almost everything each time you make a mistake or an adjustment. When working with code, you make a small alteration to the code and re-run it with the press of only one or two buttons. Code is considerably more efficient in the end. That is why professionals use it.

The use of a GUI in the classroom is practical because it means less assistance required to get students going. That's one major reason for using GUI software in undergraduate courses.

Jonathan