[Social-Sciences-List] FW: Psyo job ad UBCO

Gabias, Paul paul.gabias at ubc.ca
Tue Dec 3 22:04:48 UTC 2019

Hi Everybody,

I am an Associate Professor of Psychology at UBC Okanagan.  This is not an advertisement to fill my position.  I currently teach Visual Perception, Non-Visual Perception, the Psychology of Touch I and the Psychology of Touch II, as well as Intro Psych.

All The Best

Paul Gabias PhD LLD

University of British Columbia - Okanagan Campus
Irving K. Barber School of Arts and Sciences
Department of Psychology - Three Assistant Professor positions in Cognitive Psychology, Neuroscience, Health Psychology, or Developmental Psychology
Job ID #36121

The Department of Psychology, Irving K. Barber School of Arts and Sciences at the University of British Columbia, Okanagan Campus, invites applications for three tenure-track Assistant Professor positions in the areas of Cognitive Psychology, Neuroscience, Health Psychology, or Developmental Psychology (all broadly defined). With these hires we hope to cover three of the four areas outlined above; that is, we would prefer not to hire two people from the same research area. The successful candidates will have a PhD in Psychology and will become members of the Department of Psychology (http://psyo.ok.ubc.ca/welcome.html). The appointments are expected to start on July 1, 2020, or soon thereafter.
Candidates will demonstrate evidence of commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion, and the promotion of a respectful, collegial, and conducive learning and working environment. The successful candidates will teach in the core areas of Cognitive Psychology, Neuroscience, Health Psychology, or Developmental Psychology, and have a demonstrable commitment to teaching excellence. Candidates will have a competitive record of scholarly contributions in their respective field of research, and the ability to establish a strong externally-funded research program. The successful candidates have the opportunity to contribute to further development of the curriculum, supervise undergraduate and graduate students, and fulfill service obligations to the University and community.

The Department of Psychology, at UBC's Okanagan campus, is a dynamic and highly interdisciplinary department of more than 20 faculty members with research clusters in health and neuropsychology as well as active engagement in the scholarship of teaching.

The Department is housed in the Irving K. Barber School of Arts and Sciences. The Faculty is undergoing a transition that will result in the formation of an autonomous Faculty of Science and an autonomous Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences in 2020. The new Faculties will contain both discipline-based and interdisciplinary programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels.  Our collegial learning environment focuses on effective teaching, critical and creative scholarship, and the integration of scholarship and teaching.  We are committed to an ethos of local involvement, global engagement, and intercultural awareness and we provide a positive, inclusive, and mutually supportive working and learning environment for all our students, faculty, and staff.  To learn about the Irving K. Barber School of Arts and Science, go to: http://www.ubc.ca/okanagan/ikbarberschool/welcome.html.

UBC is one of the world's leading universities, and is consistently ranked in the top 40. The university has two distinct campuses, one in Vancouver and one in Kelowna. UBC's Okanagan campus, located in the city of Kelowna, has over 10,000 students in seven faculties, with strong undergraduate and graduate programs. Situated in the heart of the Okanagan Valley, one of the most scenic regions in Canada, it offers an intimate learning environment and excellent opportunities for regional, national, and international scholarly activities. For more information about UBC resources and opportunities, please visit http://www.hr.ubc.ca/faculty-staff-resources/. Information about the surrounding community can be found at: http://www.hr.ubc.ca/worklife-relocation/.

How to Apply:
Applications are to be submitted online in one continuous PDF file at http://www.hr.ubc.ca/careers-postings/faculty.php  (Job Opening ID# 36121) and should include:

*       a cover letter clearly indicating area to which the candidate is applying (i.e., cognitive, neuroscience, health, or developmental)

*       a curriculum vitae

*       statement of research interests

*       a statement of teaching philosophy

*       evidence of teaching effectiveness (i.e., teaching/course evaluations)

*       the names of three referees who have been asked to submit letters of reference.

Applicants should arrange to have their referees submit the letters of reference directly to Marla MacDonald, Assistant to the Head of Psychology, by the deadline at:
Psychology.okanagan at ubc.ca<mailto:Psychology.okanagan at ubc.ca>

Please direct any inquiries regarding the posting to Paul Davies, Head of Psychology, at: Paul.G.Davies at ubc.ca<mailto:Paul.G.Davies at ubc.ca%20>.

The deadline for applications is December 30, 2019.  All positions are subject to budgetary approval.

Equity and diversity are essential to academic excellence. An open and diverse community fosters the inclusion of voices that have been underrepresented or discouraged. We encourage applications from members of groups that have been marginalized on any grounds enumerated under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.

All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.

In support of our commitment to equity and diversity, all candidates will be invited to participate in an online Equity Survey as part of the appointment process.