[Sportsandrec] One more crushing tidbit...

Thornbury, Kelly kthornbury at bresnan.net
Thu Dec 18 21:55:11 UTC 2008

...that "sparkling, mineral filled, plastic exposed, poison
rich tap water" is actually more closely regulated than the water we love to drink that's bought in a store in those little plastic bottles...

Yes, I have been called a dumb jock, several times, but I did carry a 3.92 through high school and a 4.0 so far in my post-secondary career...And its not anger, its concern. I've worked exercise labs and competed in races where individuals have neglected fluids and ended up in the hospital with heat-related illnesses or severe dehydration.

Don't neglect those electrolytes either...Drinking too much water right before an event, or not enough during and after, will certainly throw off sodium chloride (salt) and potassium levels. I usually switch from water to Gatorade after 60 minutes, or in really hot weather, and my post exercise concoction consists of about 1/3 Tbs of salt in a liter of water or by adding a dash of salt to my next meal. The little extra salt helps to retain ingested fluids post exercise. As for the Gatorade, this isn't a sports commercial, but Gatorade is one of the most researched sports drinks on the market, developed at FSU (hence the name), and has a nearly perfect ratio of sugars and electrolytes.

Again Joe, not mad at all, just concerned...