[Sportsandrec] Cane Placement

Joe Shaw jrs3147 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 26 23:43:27 UTC 2008

You don't go to clubs (razz)
As for blind people being non-inclusive, I think sometimes you have to make
the first move. In my groups, I am quick to invite and involve the "new guy"
as I know of your ilk who is soo scared to talk to people and are afraid you
will look funny or say the wrong thing. To that I say being the funny guy or
the guy who does something stupid is often embraced by groups as it helps
them feel better about doing something out of their comfort zone. The
comfort zone and the combat zone are neighbors Ashley, the combat zone is
much more fun.  I worry for you about the mind-set of this entire post I am
replying to and think discussions like these are what the Federation is all
about and are things that actually change what it means to be blind. You say
blindness is a barrier to meeting new people and I am here to tell you that
self-confidence, independence, self-esteem, and accomplishment are the
battering ram to that barrier. These tools cannot be culled without trial,
success, and yes failure. When you have gathered and honed who you are
socially, it is like shampoo wash, rinse, and repeat. I learn to be more
comfortable being me daily, join me.
As for being considerate to sighted people, I guess. I am the only blind
person in my house and noone puts anything away. I stumble over stuff
constantly. That is okay. When at a club or restaurant, there are almost
always no chairs pushed in. People can see that they are there. That is
okay. In many parking lots, many people park any old way they choose to get
in and out of wherever it is. That is okay. All these examples are why I use
the cane. No, I am not ultra worried if I leave my cane where someone might
have to take a step to the right or to the left or step over it. Yes, I
usually stash my cane out of everybody else's way so as not to offend or
inconvenience anyone, but if I do, I don't stress over it much.
"Get up, Stand up!" "Stand up for your rights!" Stand Up For Your Rights Bob
Marley
Yo Federation Brutha,
Joe Shaw