[Sportsandrec] Beep Baseball or not???

Thornbury, Kelly kthornbury at bresnan.net
Tue Dec 30 19:26:27 UTC 2008

As one of my classes we had a section on softball...actually teaching concepts and strategies. Being the only blind person in the class (or program for that matter) the instructor and I decided that the fewer adaptations we used, the more beneficial (from a teaching standpoint) it would be for me. So, when in the outfield, yours truly pitched...I've seen a correct slow pitch arc and understood the concept as a blind person, and only needed to lay my cane on the ground for a general direction to the hitter, and to have the hitter call out so I knew where she/he was. The only concern was from one of my own teammates who was worried about me and line drives...My response was that line drives would hit any pitcher standing there (we didn't use gloves), and if it did hit me, what an amazing stop that would be by the blind guy. When we were hitting, I was allowed to pitch to myself; the opposing basemen would call out where our bases were, and I would have a sighted runner along side me just for extra support (all these kids were 15 years my younger, and most could outrun me quite easily).

So, how did all this work out??? Well, our team won the in class tournament; on days the wind wasn't blowing I fielded a couple of grounders by hearing the ball roll along the grass; I actually "stopped" three line drives (two in the legs and one to the chest, all leaving awesome bruises and great conversational topics later in the clubs); and with all the "injuries" this was my favorite section and I had an amazing time.

I would love to try beep baseball (the chances of that here in Wyoming are pretty remote right now), but I guess my point of this rambling is that you can get out there and "facilitate" whatever game with whatever rules gets you out there and having fun with friends. "Damn the rules, full speed ahead" (thank you Admiral Farragut because I'm still not up on the song lyrics thing yet).

Kelly