[Sportsandrec] How to fit a bike was Re: Guides, Recent Topics

Ron & the bears rockthebike at usfamily.net
Fri Nov 14 17:16:33 UTC 2008

"Jennifer Boylan"wrote, "Does the bike have to be a certain size to fit the
rider?

For example, I am 5'6" on a good day, with a 29" inseam. Normally, I'd ride
a 50 or 52 centimeter (20.5  inch) frame. Better bicycles, are measured from
the center of the crank spindle to the top of the frame where the seatpost
comes out. Wheel size is not a determining factor. One of my tandems is a
46cm for the stoker compartment, smaller than my preferred size, but on the
tandem, I just raise my saddle and bars until I find that sweet spot.

Many new riders do not know how to set their correct saddle height, so I
will go off on some important basics that will put you ahead of many
uninformed cyclists. . This will also apply to spin class, or at home on an
exercise bike.

First of all, bike fit has nothing to do with being able to touch the ground
flat footed. That is great if you are 5 and just learning how to balance a
two-wheeler. For an adult, what is most important is comfort and pedaling
efficiency. When my saddle is adjusted correctly, I can barely touch the
ground on my toes. When I come to a stop, I step forward and stand
flat-footed over the top-tube of the frame. Clearance is important there.

To determine your proper saddle height, the rule of thumb is that when your
foot is in the bottom of the pedal's circular stroke, there should still be
a slight bend in your knee. It should not be locked, but extended enough to
stretch out your legs and feel good. If you do lock your knee, your heel
should be pointing downward. Let me also mention where your foot should be
on the pedal. The ball, or palm  of your foot, just behind your toes should
be on the axle, or spindle of the pedal.

Your handlebars should be about level with your saddle for a starting point.
Once these basics are established, come back to thinking about your saddle.
As you are pedaling along, where is the pressure? If it is uncomfortable up
front, then perhaps the nose of the saddle is pointed too far up. Or,
perhaps you are not sitting on the saddle back far enough. In other words,
you are sitting too much on the narrower beak of the saddle. This may tell
you that your handlebars are too far from your saddle. Like a car's seat,
the saddle can slide forward and back on its rails. Even a quarter or half
inch adjustment can make a huge difference. If you feel pressure in the
back, perhaps the nose is tilted too low. In this case, you may feel that
you are sliding down and forward  on the saddle. This also increases
pressure on your hands, shoulders, and arms during a longer ride. You do not
just sit on a bike seat, but rather, straddle a saddle. In other words, you
should feel a balanced, cradling effect as you ride. Note how the positions
of your saddle and bars are related to each other. The bike is a system, as
is your body. The key is to get them to work together in harmony.

I like a saddle that is firm and narrow. This is because of where my
sit-bones are located. Remember, it is not about how cushy it is, but does
it support you in the correct areas. Note that I said firm, not hard.

Everyone is built differently, so the saddle that works for one rider may
torture another. Spin bikes have relatively comfortable saddles. You are not
sitting in them long enough to have problems. . I have some male pilots that
cannot stand my tandem's saddle, while many females like it. There are
female specific saddles out there. They generally have a wider body, to
correspond with a woman's pelvic structure.

The best way to find out what works for you is to ride. What feels fine at
first may not feel as good 20 or 40 minutes into the ride. It is not
uncommon to have to stop and make minor adjustments to the bike. Your pilot
will understand this, so do not be afraid to ask for a stop. It is better to
address such issues when you first notice them.

Regarding your upcoming charity ride, if you can get out on the tandem for a
few rides beforehand, it will give you time to sort this stuff out. It will
also begin the process of your body becoming accustomed to riding a bike
again. Cycling will firm up muscles back there, too.

Can your O&M instructor take you out on the tandem? Or, perhaps she can get
you and your pilot together ahead of time? I am being more passive here,
because it is probably the agency's bike.

Since blind people represent a cross-section of society, let me say
something about modern society. Most people, especially in the US, see the
bicycle as a toy that they gave up when they acquired their driver's
licenses. Therefore, they never really learned to ride as an adult. Most
people get on a bike, feeling like Lance and happy to be outside. In their
excitement, they ride too fast, too soon, without a sufficient warm-up. They
have their saddles too low, as they remember from childhood. In this
position, their legs are not extending through their full range of motion.
To help compensate for this, they ride with their arches on the pedals. This
is a more tender part of the foot. Those two factors greatly reduce power,
efficiency, and comfort. This causes the quadriceps to burn prematurely.
Their hips are also rotated further back, because their knees are coming up
too high. This concentrates more pressure on their tail-bones. Then, they
wonder why their butts hurt. They get off the bike and say, "Wow, this is
too much work." and run for the shelter of their cars and a cigarette.

Can you hear each other fairly well or are there some other, non-verbal
signals: you use?

Especially for casual rides, you can hear each other pretty well. You may
need to ask your pilot to repeat something, because of wind noise, or a
passing car. There are many non-verbal cues that are helpful. For example,
if I feel and hear my pilot shift to an easier gear, I will anticipate an
upcoming hill. When the bike leans into a turn, I use the handlebars as a
reference for my upper body. For gentle turns, I just follow the bike, but
for faster ones, I like to know ahead of time. This is so I can change my
body position and set up for the turn, like the front rider. When I feel the
front wheel hit a bump, I raise up off the saddle a bit before the rear
wheel hits it. When I hear the pilot click the shifter, I back off my
pedaling pressure a bit to help the bike shift quicker. When I feel the
pilot back off or increase the pedaling, I do the same.

Riding technique comes to be natural with time in the saddle.

If anyone is still reading, Joe, tell me about your sweet tandem!

Regards,

Ron & the anticipating tomorrow's hill ride bears
Austin, TX

--- Get FREE High Speed Internet from USFamily.Net! -- http://www.usfamily.net/mkt-freepromo.html ---