[Sportsandrec] Accommodating Fitness Equipment

Thornbury, Kelly kthornbury at bresnan.net
Tue Apr 21 20:57:51 UTC 2009

I don't generally go for the pre-programmed settings of fitness equipment, preferring to run my sessions myself (besides, I once had a treadmill try to throw me over the front panel when it changed speeds significantly while I was wearing headphones, which is more embarrassing than falling off the back).

So, I use a clear plastic document protector cut in half (so it's only one sheet thick), then I have someone help me with placing my marking dots on the sheet for the buttons I use regularly. Then, when I'm done working out, I can take the sheet with me and the gym staff will have no problems with applying markings to their equipment. I have a folder of sheets for all the different brands/styles of treadmills and cycles for the university's fitness center. This doesn't allow you access to the programs or different settings (like setting weight and all that demographic stuff), but in the end my goal is simply the workout, which I can manipulate based on heart rates and a stopwatch. Anyway, get some assistance with placing the sheet in a position where you can do it the same every time, and that covers all the primary buttons you use, and have an assistant help you mark the pages. Then later, you only have to lay the sheet based on your previous landmarks, and start running. I've used machines that were pre-marked, but not being familiar with the equipment in the first place made it almost as difficult to use, so a thoroughly comprehensive overview of the machine will also be helpful. A simple alternative until all the machines become more accessible is to make up your own cover sheets for the displays, and don't get stuck on the programs as much as your own workouts.