[Sportsandrec] Independent pedaling

Ron & the bears rockthebike at usfamily.net
Mon Aug 3 17:12:27 UTC 2009

I rode a 45-mile memorial ride last night on a Da Vinci Intuition, with
independent pedaling. It had been several years since I have ridden such a
set-up. In one ride, I cannot say that I had it down. I'd say that I was in
synch most of the time, like 90 percent. At one time, my pilot looked at our
shadow and said I was in perfect synch with him.

I could tell sometimes when something was not right. I could feel the bike
canoeing under our pedal strokes. All I could do is try to stop pedaling and
restart, hoping that I had less than a stroke different. It was like playing
Russian Roulette. Sometimes, I had to interrupt my stroke a few times to
make it feel right. I could not see my pilots pedaling in front of me.

I wrote Da Vinci to inquire as to a sure-shot method for staying in time, if
there is one. The president's wife is blind, so I am hopeful, though I might
already know the answer.

It was funny, some times, we would have to back off the cadence to let other
riders catch up with us. Then, I'd be sitting there, waiting for the
nonverbal cue to resume pedaling. Then, I'd notice that my pilot had already
been pedaling again. It was a trip. One time, we were sprinting for a green
light, I had no idea if I was in phase, but had no time to think about it.
We just had to go for it. Another time, we were wanting to see what our
maximum speed could be down a hill. As we neared our limits, again, I was
wondering where our pedals were. I am always mindful of our smoothness at
our limits, but this time, I was a little more careful. We were pedaling at
43 mph. We both had been pre-racing the course this weekend, for the Texas
State TT, next Sunday, so we were both already tired from those efforts.
Plus, since the bike was set-up for his bride, my position was pretty
scrunched and not optimum for performance riding. I would have preferred my
bars another inch or two further forward from me.

Still, it was fun. It was great to get out for a ride. I do not remember
having trouble staying in synch in the past with the ICS system. I must be
getting old, or something.:)

Best,

Ron & the all our tandems are direct-drive bears
Austin, TX

--- Get FREE High Speed Internet from USFamily.Net! -- http://www.usfamily.net/mkt-freepromo.html ---