[Sportsandrec] Does anyone know if blind people can obtain scuba certific...

PghJohn11 at aol.com PghJohn11 at aol.com
Thu Dec 10 01:14:47 UTC 2009

I was a dive master in Key West working with a company named "Reef
Raiders."  This was before I lost my sight.  I have over 400 dives  around the
world but have no dives for a number of years.

I received my certification through the YMCA and other PADI certificates
through an outfit called DAN. (Divers Alert Network).  Google them.   There
is some good info on their site.

I could tell you of some good and bad experiences, but under water is
beautiful and peaceful.  There is just no way to explain it.  It must  be
experienced by YOU to feel the absolute serenity.

If I were you, I would call a dive shop, or a YMCA and present them with
your situation and see what they say.  I would not take the word of one
instructor, but would check out a few.

I know there is a charitable organization that teaches wounded Iraq
military members how to dive and I think this includes ones with traumatic brain
damage, which sometimes causes blindness.

If you are accepted you will begin in a classroom and then gradually move
into a swimming pool for basic training.  And than you do your first open
water dive, usually in a quarry near where you live.  It is possible to  rent
the equipment for this dive to see whether or not you want to  continue.
This is good since some of the equipment is expensive.

If I can be of further help, just email me privately.

John T.

In a message dated 12/9/2009 2:55:37 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,