[Sportsandrec] Creating your own workout CDs

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 1 00:25:20 UTC 2009

Kelly,
Congradulations on almost finishing the certification!
Good suggestion.  But for this to work you have to have a college near you
that offers what you want.  Then you have to have an accomodating
instructor.  I totally support inclusion in exercise classes but due to
their visual nature its hard.  You have to have a willing instructor willing
to explain or show you the moves otherwise as they call them out you do not
know the vocabulary meaning.
I attempted a class at George Mason university and a community center.
AT GMU it was a self defense class.  The instructor was not helpful; He did
not do what I asked which was to verbalize how to perform moves or show me
during or before class.  The disability office was not helpful.
In the community center it was an aerobics class.  I did not know the
vocabulary as it was called out.  They tried giving me an assistant but she
had trouble explaining due to the pace.

So yes ideally, we can and should be "melding ourselves into exercise
classes"  but you have to have the support to do so.
Sadly the ADA is not always followed and unless you sue which takes time and
money there is little you can do about it.  I suppose I could have told my
story to the media and next time it happens I will.  There is a class named
cardio strength intervals at my health club.  Now that I know some strength
moves and their names from a personal trainer, I think the CSI class may be
doable.  I am going to talk to the instructor and get her reaction.  I think
it will work because she may have time to show me if needed and seems pretty
verbal.  Time will tell.
Ashley