[Sportsandrec] More Beep Baseball

Peter Donahue pdonahue1 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 1 00:53:23 UTC 2009

Hello Kelly and listers,

    It definitely is when an adaptive technology company feels blind people
are too stupid to learn that pressing a particular key sequence will cause
their notetaker to do a hard reset so they require the user to press a
button that's barely  feelable then try to blame the user for their machine
malfunctioning. Had the user been able to enter the keystroke to do the cold
reset their unit wouldn't have had to be shipped back for an unnecessary
repair and be harassed by the company in question for improperly performing
the cold reset. And I know about this because it happened to my wife Mary
who received a new Pacmate Omni from Freedom Scientific. Had these folks
designed the firmware so one could perform the cold reset with a few
keystrokes none of this would have been necessary. When she asked a tech
support person about this all she was told was that, "There were reasons for
it." Guess they spent too much time playing Beep Baseball. Deane Blazie had
more faith in the abilities of the blind and designed his products with our
true capabilities in mind.

    It's not so much the game, activity or program that is at fault, but the
beliefs about our capabilities which determine whether we'll be treated as
children, or as responsible members of society. Now I'm done.

Peter Donahue