[Sportsandrec] Just catcching up

Thornbury, Kelly kthornbury at bresnan.net
Thu Jan 1 21:00:09 UTC 2009

Wow, it was nice to read all the posts on the recent New Year's Day issue. So, a few of my comments all at once:

You should "want" to lose weight as opposed to "have to." lose weight, we like doing things we want to do, and hate doing things we have to do.it's a goal setting thing.

The study of exercise physiology is a huge passion of mine.my informal studies started over 20 years ago, I have been formally studying for almost 6 now. I spend most of my "non-workout" time reading research journals and articles on health and fitness.

You could probably get away without consuming fluids in a moderate intensity for an hour, but be sure to rehydrate afterwards. Otherwise, about 4 oz every 15 minutes or so is usually pretty good. You didn't necessarily need to share your height (although I pictured you taller), and you don't have to share your weight.

Gatorade and PowerAde are similar, but have different ratios of glucose and electrolytes. Most articles I have read do put
Gatorade ahead for effectiveness. Now that my curiosity has been more deeply sparked (thanks a lot people), I'll have to look into it a little more.

Free weight training (bench press, squats, ect) are probably best left for the live instructor as opposed to a descriptive video, only because a trained professional can make the subtle corrections to your technique that a video can not make. Especially beginning lifters who might be more inclined to use such a video, the proprioceptors    (the body's way of knowing where it is in space and how it is moving) are not "trained" enough to recognize errors in technique.

The problem with martial arts classes at universities as the instructors are not usually professional educators (I've had this problem too), and do not understand their roles as "educators" as opposed to "leaders." Its too bad you had that experience with your disability office.My solution was an "accidental" scoop kick to the groin after a rather heated debate over whether or not groin protection was needed in class, in conjunction to a rather stupid offensive stance he was teaching. You could sue, but if it takes that much to get an instructor to teach, I wouldn't trust what it was they were trying to teach anyway.

Any piece of adaptive equipment I have with a single "hard reset" button has a little piece of tape over the button so I can a void it. It would be great if blind individuals designed all our adaptive technology, except that (1) We don't have enough blind designers/technicians out there (lets pick up the pace STEM programs), and (2) Procedures that work for one blind person won't necessarily work for another.and as a social group I think we are more specific about what "works for us" and may be a little less "on the fly adaptable" than others. One reason we are sometimes treated like helpless children is that a large percentage of us (by large I mean even 1% is too large) act like helpless children.part of the stigma surrounding blindness comes from those who act as if they are helpless, making it more difficult for the rest of us. Personal opinion again.

While having a blind pitcher throwing fast balls is a great notion, there should be a sense of responsibility too. I don't care what kind of image I portray, I would never throw a fast ball pitch to (at) a batter. I have pitched slow pitch softball, there is far less danger. Yes, it would be great if we could participate equally in all activities as our sighted peers, but personal responsibility dictates that I won't fast pitch, I won't try to throw out a runner at first (I always went for the cut off at second), I pay extra attention to all players around me on the soccer field, I don't bowl full speed in cricket, and I don't run full speed down the middle of the basketball court.I would love to be able to compete at that level, but just because being hit by a ball may be an acceptable risk of the game, I don't have to increase the risks with my "non-accommodated" participation.

Joe, yes, the water is back on, and how dare you ask a woman her weight!!!.

So, I'm going for the record for lengthy posts.call it my version of Whitney's Star Spangled Banner.

Kelly