[Sportsandrec] Beep Baseball Regs

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 2 21:18:38 UTC 2009

Hi Jennifer,
I play with the group sponsored by the Telephone Pioneers of America and
most of the volunteers work for Verizon.  We are not competetive although
score is kept.  So I have not participated in tournaments.  But
I hope you have enough players to go to the tournament in Las Vegas.  That
sounds exciting!  I heard of the
world series but did not know beep ball had regional tournaments.  Did you
say they are listed on the NBBA website?  If so, I'll see if there is one
near me and come observe.

You said
"The only assistance a
baserunner gets is the sound of the buzzing base, which he must locate/run
to/contact himself."

  Oh!  So the regular rules don't permit verbal instruction from a sighted
person?
Well in our game someone runs alongside the player and gives directions if
needed.  Most of us, including me, don't go straight to the base.  The sound
source is not enough so that's why someone watches saying "left" and "right"
I think its hard to run straight to a target without seeing what you're
running to.
Does a coach or someone call out what field position the ball goes to?  In
my game they do.  When your position is called you listen and locate the
ball in the field.

You said
there are a range of coordination levels and multiple-disabilities that can
accompany blindness and as we are a small  city the population is a limited
pool to draw from.  This pool is further  limited to blind people who
actually want to get out there and play and/or
 have the time to devote to practice and honing their skills."

We have the same problem.  Its not a small city but blind people are a small
part of the population; those who want to play are even a smaller number.
Does your team do anything to get the word out about your need for players?
Do you have a range of ages?  Ours have a number of ages playing.  Also
although the announcement goes out to teachers of the vision impaired and
the disability part of the rec department, I am not sure the word is spread
about our playing.
So part of the problem stems from blind people not knowing what resources
are out there.  There is a blind bowling league looking for members too;
I've thought of joining but it takes a long time to get there and back.

I think we modified the rules to make it funner and to accomodate the
multiple handicaps as well.  So its interesting to  clarify the real rules.
Good discussion.
Ashley