[Sportsandrec] Adapting Sports for the Blind

Karen Zakhnini kaycee510 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 2 22:37:13 UTC 2009

Hey there Peter,

I completely understand where you are coming from, and, as I said, I agree with much of what you say.  I hope that you had a great holiday.  Please tell Mary "hello" for me.

Karen Zakhnini

"Was it something I said or something I did
Did my words not come out right"
Every Rose Has Its Thorn--Poison> From: pdonahue1 at sbcglobal.net> To: sportsandrec at nfbnet.org> Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 18:07:57 -0600> Subject: [Sportsandrec] Adapting Sports for the Blind> > Hello Karen and listers,> > The only thing I'll say about it all is that my personal experience > playing conventional baseball with the adaptations made for blind players > prior to the development of beep baseball flies directly in the face of > everything that has been said. We had our share of injuries but never > received bad press over it. I went to the Oak Hill and the Perkins Schools > for the Blind. There we played all sports according to the rules for sighted > players with only the adaptations necessary to accommodate byline players. > Some of these included running lines to guide blind track runners who chose > to use them, pitching baseballs on the bounce from the normal distance, > wrestling matches starting from a standing position with both opponents > touching fingers, metronomes placed on basketball hoops and archery targets > so blind players knew where they were, the use of bowling alley rails to > help blind bowlers line up to throw the ball, inclines to allow > wheelchair-bound blind persons to bowl, I think you get the idea. Balloons > were also placed on the archery targets so the participant knew when they > hit it. They popped when struck by the arrows. And all of this before I > found the National Federation of the Blind.> > Thus the comments I've made on this subject are deeply rooted in my own > experience. Perhaps now It's easier to understand my shock and disgust when > this thread began and the concerns coming out of it. While I'm still not big > on schools for the blind for totally unrelated reasons I'm relieve to know > that they did some things right. Now to finish up a Web Site. Happy new year > from Mary and myself.> > Peter Donahue> > > _______________________________________________> Sportsandrec mailing list> Sportsandrec at nfbnet.org> http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/sportsandrec_nfbnet.org> To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for Sportsandrec:> http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/sportsandrec_nfbnet.org/kaycee510%40hotmail.com