[Sportsandrec] burning calories

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 30 23:56:46 UTC 2009

Hi Joe,

I'm responding to the comments about calores with weights and cardio.  Its best under a new subject.

You wrote
"You said the best weight loss method  is to burn calories
cardio vascularly such as on a treadmill. I am reading and talking to many trainers who think just the opposite is true nowadays in that you can burn just as many calories in less time by lifting heavy weight in lower reps.  I like the explosiveness it builds in the muscles as well."

Joe there is a little controversy on it.  I was stating that based on what I learned.  My doctor, personal trainer and health class reportet that cardio activity was best for burning calories.  But i saw on tv a report saying what you said that lifting was just as good.  My trainer said actually to combine weight lifting with cardio for weight loss.  If you don't lift, you don't tone muscles and may lose lean muscle mass not fat as weight decreases.  There is a little controversy like you brought up.

Weight loss is also a personal thing.  So what works for one may not work for another.  In terms of lifting if you want to have toned and defined muscles more reps with lower weight is good mostly.  This way builds endurance too.

Lifting heavy weight with lower reps builds muscle bulkness, or hypertrophy, meaning the fibers tear and grow this way.

So your weight lifting routine is based on your goals.  Whether doing high reps with a lower weight or low amount of reps with more weight, either way you will strengthen muscles, but  the results are a little different.

Joe you seem to like lifting heavy to build muscles and power.  So does my brother.  Yes lifting heavy weight does make explosive performance.  I generally do 12-15 reps a set with two sets but my goal is strength and toning.  Weight lifting will burn calories but I doubt it burns as much as cardio.  I say this since cardio requires lots of movement with your heart rate up.  You need energy and your body turns to fat to supply the energy after carbohydrates.  You burn carbs, or glycogen, before fat.  Its aerobic.  Weight lifting on the other hand is anaerobic, or activity with out oxygen.  It burns more carbs.

I am no expert though and would like Kelly's thoughts too.  Just saying what I know from what I learned.  Hope I explained those terms well enough.  Glycogen is another term for stored carbohydrates.

Ashley