[Sportsandrec] Tandems with S&S couplers

Ron & the bears rockthebike at usfamily.net
Wed Jul 1 01:39:34 UTC 2009

Hi Kelly,

Yes, I have ridden a few tandems with S&S couplers. Each coupled tandem has
about three of them. Had I not been told they were there, I would have not
noticed. They are just as solid, if not stronger, than a frame without them.
They have been around for many years and work very well.

For those of you who do not know, these couplers enable a tandem to be taken
apart and packed into two regular sized suitcases. They even make backpack
versions of the cases. Otherwise, to fly your tandem, it may cost $100 each
way. I have paid as much as $180 each way with insurance. With the
suitcases, they just count as regular luggage, which now, of course costs
money anyway. I have also known of people to just break the tandem in half,
in order to put it into a car. A friend of mine pulled up to a ride. He got
out of his car, a classic 1971 VW Beatle. When the other riders looked over
at him a few minutes later, they were surprised to see a full-size tandem
leaning up against the car.

Best,

Ron & the grumpy bears
Austin, TX

Kelly wrote, "Has anyone on list ridden a tandem with an S&S coupler?"

--- Get FREE High Speed Internet from USFamily.Net! -- http://www.usfamily.net/mkt-freepromo.html ---