[Sportsandrec] Tandems with S&S couplers

Ron & the bears rockthebike at usfamily.net
Thu Jul 2 00:58:56 UTC 2009

Hi LM,

An S&S coupler is a metal band that goes around the frame tubes of your
bike. If your bike has them, you would probably know it already, because
that option adds about 800 to 2000 dollars to the price of your bike. I
can't remember if 2K includes the cases already. I think it does.

If you check out your frame's tubes, you will feel a bulge in the tube,
about 1.5-2 inches long. They are usually placed behind, or in front of
your pilot's seattube, or in front of the stoker's seattube. The bulge is
actually perforated and comes apart with a special wrench.

Again, they work very well and are dependable. Couplers add about two pounds
to the weight of your bike. Along with the frame couplers are the cable
splitters. They need to come apart, too. The extra weight is not noticed,
for the most part, because it is not moving-weight, like your wheels. The
extra weight may be a psychological Burdon in a hilly ride or race, but
unless you are going for serious competition, separated by seconds, most of
us will not mind them. The frame is no less strong, or stiff, performance
wise. They are a great way to travel with your eight foot long tandem.
People even have couplers on their single bikes. They even make tandems that
convert into a single, or triplets, quads, and quints  that convert into
triplets, quads, or tandems, or singles. If you have the cash, anything is
possible.

You can also get couplers retro-fitted to your existing tandem. They
literally cut your frame in half, or thirds and install the couplers.
Tandems made of steel, Ti, and carbon fiber can all be coupled. Most
aluminum tandems cannot be coupled, though I think Santana may offer one,
now.

Let me say something, too about flying a tandem. All five of my tandems are
not coupled. Most of the charges that I have paid are just standard bicycle
charges, nothing extra for the tandem. It is just that the airlines are now
charging more to bring anything along with you. I have paid as little as 40
bucks for my tandem on Southwest. When I flew to Italy, my bike went with me
for free, because it was an international flight. those days may be history,
now.

I have always used a cardboard tandem box for my flights. I used a ten foot
box that kept both wheels on, but it was heavier. I did pay some penalties
for that box a few times, actually. Then, I switched to a seven foot box
that was a lot easier to handle in the airport and cabs. I have used the
same box for multiple flights. I still have one on stand by, but it is maybe
not flyable any longer.

I have also put my tandem on Am Trak for $15! I have not tried a Greyhound,
but think it will work well. With any transportation, careful packing of
your ride is crucial.

I have to say, though, when I arrive at my destination and have my own
tandem, fitted and familiar to me, it is all worth the hassle.

So move those cases and lift them amps. Haul those trusses and get 'em up
them ramps. But when it comes to moving me, you know you guys are the
champs.

Stay, by Jackson Brown

Best,

Ron & the have cane and tandem, will travel bears
Austin, TX

LM wondered, "Hey, what's an S&S coupler? I wonder if my new tandem has one?
:
: LM"

--- Get FREE High Speed Internet from USFamily.Net! -- http://www.usfamily.net/mkt-freepromo.html ---