[Sportsandrec] Tandems with S&S couplers

Ron & the bears rockthebike at usfamily.net
Thu Jul 2 15:38:31 UTC 2009

I helped a guy build an S&S coupled bike from the suitcases. He was looking
at buying it from an owner who hadn't ridden it in a few years. It stayed in
the cases that entire time.

I think his tandem had six couplers, so it broke down into really little
pieces. It took us an afternoon, because it was our first time and we were
being very careful with someone else's bike. With twice the normal number of
couplers, it seemed a little more technical, but it was like a puzzle that
we had to put together with Allen wrenches. It took time to study the parts
and lay them out. Once the bike was together, we took it out for a brief,
but intense test ride. We did a few sprints and climbed some steep hills.
The bike felt great and I fell in love with it. I had never ridden with that
guy before, but we clicked as a team in minutes if not instantly. They did
not buy that particular bike, but ordered a new Co-Motion instead.

The build up was not anything you could not learn, though. It would be fun
to bring a tandem to convention and have a hands on clinic in my room. I
will not be there in Detroit this year. I am of the opinion that whoever
pays for the bike should know some basics about working on it. When in a
hurry, I have handed wrenches to pilots to adjust their position on the
front of my bike. I have less than impressive results from that experience
and had to get things repaired. I tell people that I would prefer to change
their pedals or set them up. This way, if I mess it up, than I am the guy
who pays the bill at the shop. They understand.

I think, though, that after a few break downs and build-ups that it would
take 30 minutes to an hour to get it ready to ride. Break down may take less
time, but remembering how to precisely pack it into that small space may
take more time. Many owners take pictures, or look at them on the web. I
would not have that option, but would just have to study my bike in the case
a lot before building it up. At nationals one year, I was talking with a pro
mechanic. We both agreed that when we pack our non-coupled bikes, we never
do it the same way twice. I seem to memorize a lot of things anyway, like
phone numbers in my cell phone. I never spent the $300 to make my phone
talk.

Best,

Ron & the Dad is skimping on the Talks to fight off dementia bears
Austin, TX