[Sportsandrec] Tandem question

Lori M. Miller lori at asmodean.net
Mon Jul 6 00:36:43 UTC 2009

Annemarie,

No for Paralympics, but at Masters cycling championships they offer tandem
categories. They have a couple of different categories of 70 plus, 90 plus,
and 110 plus meaning that the total ages between the two riders must fall in
those rangers. USABA used to hold their nationals in conjunction with this
event and it was awesome. It was a great way to recruit new pilots and be a
part of a big field of racers. This year, I only know of one blind cyclist
who competed in Masters road championships for the time trial. At Masters
road championships they also allow  mixed and men/men or women/women tandem
teams.

In the Paralympics there are no Mixed tandem races any more, which my
personal oppionion is that this has limited options for femail blind
cyclists because there are fewer elete women bike racers. Just my humble
opionion.

Also, at Paralmipc nationals this year for the road championships I have
heard that it is just a time trial, no road race. For the last couple of
years they've had just a handful or less of tandems.

I enjoyed racing at masters road championships because even though at the
time they did have a blind category, we also were racing with our own age
groups if me met the age qualifications and it provided for more
competition.

Lori