[Sportsandrec] Adaptable Rugby

Thornbury, Kelly kthornbury at bresnan.net
Mon Jul 6 18:16:38 UTC 2009

As part of one of my kinesiology classes I had a rugby component. Some parts of the game were relatively accessible, like being in the scrum and placing the ball in play, but other parts like running in the open field and passing,  was not. Unlike soccer, the ball does not contact the ground during play, so accessibility concepts like bells or wrapping the ball in plastic grocery bags doesn't work. Also, tossing passes was also very difficult since you are not usually close to your teammates. A beeping ball would help, but I don't know of any rugby beepers. While I enjoyed the game in the classroom, and participating in the scrum was fantastic, I didn't find the game very accessible and really couldn't come up with many suitable adaptations for the game. It may be a case where you just need to get out with some friends, and come up with some "rules" that work for you as an individual, and let the rest of us know how it works out.