[Sportsandrec] Bike trainers

Ron & the bears rockthebike at usfamily.net
Thu Jul 9 00:59:43 UTC 2009

Kelly wrote, "I have a magnetic trainer I use to calculate power output on
(in watts); calculations I couldn't perform on a fluid trainer (for some
reason the resistance profile of most trainers is some sort of corporate
secret, but I could get the numbers for a magnetic trainer through testing
in the university's biomechanics lab)."

Ron replies, Wow, I thought I'd never repeat this factoid. The Kurt Kenetic
Road Machine that I speak so highly of has a resistance curve that is
completely predictable. In fact, their website mentioned a cyclometer that
would estimate the wattage generated based on the resistance being so
consistent. If you ever need more information, I have contacts with Kurt
Kinetics.

Kelly wrote, "I don't personally like to put my tandem in the trainer,
unless I'm doing a tune up. The longer bike has greater leverage on the
mounting brackets, and I find there is more wobble in the set up than I am
comfortable with. I also worry about the stress it places on the rear hanger
of the frame and how its supported.

Ron replies, I agree with your thinking, and generally use my single on the
trainer, because of limited space, but it is doable with the tandem. I
recommend the front wheel cradle that a lot of manufacturers offer for
indoor riding. I used to just use a phone book to raise up the front of the
bike to match the level of the rear wheel on the trainer. The $20 option
really makes the bike feel more stable. Many offer variable heights as well.
So, you can raise the front of your bike to simulate climbing hills, which
use different core muscles.

Also, Co-Motion and Santana do not mind using their tandems on a trainer.
Even on my single bike, I always straddle the bike and then step up on the
pedal to get up on to the saddle. This way, my body weight is always
directly over the frame. There is minimum torsional stress on the bike this
way.

Kelly wrote, "The advantage of the trainer is that you can put your
heaviest, steel framed bike with your least efficient rims, and only a
moderate drive train; things like weight and aerodynamic efficiency are not
an issue.

Ron replies, Kelly, I agree with you here. However, I always end up with a
bike that I really like and would prefer to ride on the road if I could only
see enough to do so. I guess I am a bit of a zealot on this issue. I am a
tinkerer and like technological designs that are just off the front burner.
Also, the way the bike fits me is the main thing, especially for indoor
riding.

Kelly wrote, ": I've used a couple less expensive trainers, and how much you
want to spend should depend on how much time you will spend on it. I've worn
out a few less expensive trainers, but put thousands of miles a year on my
Fluid Ops II without a problem. My only complaint about the fluid trainers
is when I put an old TT bike in it and crank on the tallest gear ratio where
I can get the dampener to cavitate and lose resistance at top speed (where
the fluid turbulence gets so great it loses resistance).

Ron replies, When I rode the Cycle-Ops Fluid 2, I, also felt the resistance
level off at high intensity efforts. For me, it felt like pedaling through
mud. I did not like that feeling at all. It was like my cranks felt like
they were made of soft plastic. I have never felt that syndrome on the Kurt
Kinetic. It seems to be able to handle all that I can give it, while still
feeling natural.

Another point that came to mind was perhaps the tire was slipping on the
resistance roller? I am real sensitive to this and try to avoid it. Some
people talk about wearing out tires more quickly on their trainers. I do not
seem to have that problem. Perhaps it is because I am certain to have a
positive connection between the tire and resistance roller.

Best,

Ron & the healthy discussion bears
Austin, TX

--- Get FREE High Speed Internet from USFamily.Net! -- http://www.usfamily.net/mkt-freepromo.html ---