[Sportsandrec] Boxing for Everett

Thornbury, Kelly kthornbury at bresnan.net
Sat Jul 11 17:44:07 UTC 2009

Everett,

Even though you are just beginning boxing, and its not MMA or being mugged in the streets, why start your learning with the use of audible signals, when eventually you would just have to relearn your tracking techniques later. Think of it as someone who has had sight most of their life, then suddenly wakes up blind...She/he has to relearn so much, and using the audibles like bells would put you in  a similar situation. Learn to judge where your opponents are by their breathing, the sound of their step, and to track back where they are after they strike...You can easily learn where someone is in relation to you based on where and how their strikes contact you. Work on a defensive posture that protects your vital targets...For example, when I am boxing, I keep both gloves in front of my face...I don't need to see around them, so they can "block my sight." Properly placed and angled, this technique protects your nose and eyes, and lessens blows to the top or sides of the head.
How you learn to box is up to what you are comfortable with, my advice is only that you might be making things harder in the future by being so accommodated in the beginning with the use of bells.