[Sportsandrec] more tandem tips needed

Lisamaria Martinez, NOMC lmartinez217 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 05:01:53 UTC 2009

Hello List and Others,

I want to thank everyone for their wonderful tandem advice and I also want to apologize for hogging your inbox lately with my tandem questions. It is amazing though how complex starting a new activity can be.

So, tonight we went on our third ride. But let's back up to last Sunday ...

Last Sunday we completed 14 miles. We had some complications during the first half of the ride. Now that Joe wasn't concentrating so much on shifting, he was trying to match my pedaling and I was trying to match his and their was some frustration. We eventually got it figured out, but only after I got grouchy and refused to pedal for 5 minutes. Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know it was totally childish but I was getting really annoyed.

We did have some real problems with starting. Now, the tandem bike shop dude suggested I pedal like mad on Joe's "go" and he then get on the bike and situated. I don't think Joe has ever trusted me enough to do this. Our starts are always really shaky and wobbly and we crashed the bike sideways Sunday. After the small crash, I suggested we start the way I previously started pre our new baby. We both chose a side to push off from and we pushed on "go." This actually worked really well for us.

My question is, are their better ways? Is pushing off together bad? Or should one of us pedal like crazy while the other balances the bike at first and then situates?

And now for tonight ...

We did 12 miles on our gorgeous bike. The ride was mostly smooth sailing.

The more I ride, the more I really want to clip in--not only for my knee, but for efficiency and fluidity. My foot is flying off the pedals at times and I'm really uncomfortable with that. I actually feel like I am focusing so much energy on keeping my foot in the right place.

Everyone's suggestions on pedaling onm the lower gears is helping my knee a lot. Less pain. Now if I can only get around the hand pain. But all that aside, tonight we had some wobbly issues. I suggested to Joe that he not move his shoulders so much. This actually helped with the steadiness of the bike, but there was a lot of wobbliness despite this small change.

Could this be because he seemed more tired than usual? Is it hand position? Bendy elbows or not bendy enough? He did get tired toward the end which also led to less communication which of course ...

Tonight I broached the subject of gears in the stoker's handlebars and he was a lot more open to that idea than I thought he would be. So, we might just do that. I'm super anxious about this idea since I've never shifted a gear in my life, but I tend to ask him to shift up or down anyways so why not, right? Also, I see the benefits too when and if I switch captains. any thoughts on this?

Any ideas from anyone about any of my questions would be greatly appreciated. We love all the suggestions so far.

As a disclaimer ...

Joe really is not a bad guy. I feel like I am slamming him on these emails, but it definitely isn't just him. After all, I through the tantrum on Sunday and quit pedaling. It slowed us way down. We usually cruz at about 13 to 15. When I stopped we went down to 9 or 10. when we haul butt though we can top out at 26. We're excited to work up to faster speeds.

Peace out and many thanks,
LM
The Occasional Tantrum Thrower