[Sportsandrec] VP 767 Pedals

Ron & the bears rockthebike at usfamily.net
Mon Jul 20 17:08:19 UTC 2009

Hello,

Kelly says some good things here. However, I would not worry much about the
pedals, cables, chainrings and the like. Sometimes, bike shops want to do
stuff to your bike, because they need to pad their pockets, just like car
dealers. I do not usually change out cables, brakepads, or the like, but I
pay attention and may have a pilot give me a visual description of things
for me, so that I know. I also pay attention to how the bike is stopping,
what sounds it makes, and may ask the pilot if he/she feels confidence in
the brakes.

Though Keith's bike is old, it may still have less than 500 miles on it.
There may not be much wear on the gears, etc. Grease does get old and
varnishes, but it should be fine for now. If you ever have to remove the
wheels, check the bearings by turning them between your fingers. If they are
feeling notchy, they may simply be too tight. This is more common than you
think. Usually, once they are properly adjusted, they can be smooth as silk.
I have had Shimano clipless pedals that were too tight from the box. They
are doing fine after thousands of miles.

Never oil anything but the chain, pivot points, and cables. I run my cables
dry, even. Never use oil on things with greased bearings. You will ruin the
grease and need to overhaul the component for sure.

If the cables are rusty, it may just be superficial. They may still go for
years. If you have two brakes on the bike, you still have the other in case
of a failure on one. For moderately short rides, near home, you should be
fine. However, I'd keep checking cables for signs of weakening, like
fraying, or unusually rapid  stretching.

Be mindful of the tire pressure, though. Invest the $30 in a pump that has a
gage. Your pilot can read it for you as you pump. If the bike has been
sitting for some time, I like to inflate the tires while there is no weight
on them. You can hold up one end of the bike while inflating a tire, until
it is firm enough to hold it up on its own. This way, the tire has a chance
to center itself on the rim. The wider your tires, the greater chance it may
get a high spot at the six o'clock position of the rim and a low spot at the
twelve. In other words, the rim is no longer in the center of the tire.
Frequently feel the sidewalls for bulges or weakened spots in the sidewall.
Cracking and discoloration should not be a problem, says Sheldon Brown, an
internet bike mechanic guru, who died a few years ago of MS?

Much of what I advise in regards to cables and tires should be followed on
even newer bikes. It is important for the stoker to pay attention, because
the pilot may not even think of it. I have a lot of pilots. I am the only
constant on the bike.

Best,

Ron & the conservative, frugal, but careful bears
Austin, TX