[Sportsandrec] Fw: USABA Developmental Judo Camp: Blind Athletes Prove Victorious

Christella Garcia christellablue at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 01:41:10 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: United States Association of Blind Athletes
To: Christella Garcia
Sent: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 12:26 PM
Subject: USABA Developmental Judo Camp: Blind Athletes Prove Victorious

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 1, 2009
Contact:  Amanda Fassett, media at usaba.org, 719.630.0422

Blind Athletes Prove Victorious

(Colorado Springs, Colo) – The United States Association of Blind Athletes (USABA) Judo Camp concluded triumphantly Saturday, February 28, with the Mid-Winter Classic in Westminster, Colo.  Sixteen blind and visually impaired judo athletes competed in the tournament against sighted and blind athletes to prove victorious on the mat.

“For someone with just six months judo experience, I felt welcomed, empowered and inspired to work hard in this sport and excel in my personal life,” said Joe Orozco of Washington, D.C.  Orozco was one of eleven judo athletes who are blind to medal in their division at the Mid-Winter Classic.

With the 2009 IBSA Pan American Games months away, the athletes came to the U.S. Olympic Training Center with aspirations of fighting for their country this summer in the Pan American Games to be held in Colorado Springs, Colo.  Several also attended with hopes of competing in the 2012 Paralympic Games three and a half years away to fight for gold in London.  "I'm training and dreaming of London, but I know I have a lot of work to obtain that goal and this clinic was the next step," said Christella Garcia of Sacramento, Calif.

The athletes were drilled and conditioned all week in preparation for the tournament.  The coaches were very impressed with how the adversities were overcome and with the progress that was made.  “I was so pleased to see everyone working hard and watching their success at the tournament,” said Heidi Moore, USABA Development Coach.  “These athletes are the future of US Paralympic Judo and it was great to see such dedication and desire.”

“It was great seeing the elite players pitch in to work with the Paralympic development athletes and overall the camp has gone very well from both sides," said USA Judo Director of Athlete Performance, Eddie Liddie.

Athletes arrived at the OTC on Wednesday and participated in twice-daily training sessions on Thursday and Friday, first with a two-hour morning session and later working out with the USA Judo National Training Site at the Olympic Training Center Team in the evening.  In addition to on-the-mat sessions, athletes also worked with the U.S. Olympic Committee Strength and Conditioning Staff in the weight room and were educated on anti-doping policies by the staff of the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency.

“This was an incredible experience that enriched my judo skills. I am looking forward to future camps,” said Muneer Tawam of Philadelphia, Pa who placed second in the Novice 198 lbs. division.

Mid-Winter Classic Results:

Katie Davis, Team Sacramento, Sacramento, CA – 1st place, senior women heavy weight
Sofia Moller, Sweden – 2nd place, senior women heavyweight
Sofia Moller, Sweden – 1st place, novice women heavyweight
Nicolina Pernheim, Sweden – 1st place, senior women middle weight
Ryan Jones, Denver Judo, Aurora, CO 2nd place, novice men 220lbs
Jason Keaton, Ft. Knox Judo, Ft. Knox, KY, 1st place, novice men 220lbs
Jason Keaton, Ft. Knox Judo, Ft. Knox, KY, 2nd place, senior men 220lbs
Adnan Gutic, White Dragon Judo, St. Louis, MO, 1st place, novice men, 178lbs
Adnan Gutic, White Dragon Judo, St. Louis, MO, 3rd place, senior men 178lbs
Anthony Johnson, Charlottesville, NC, 3rd place, novice men 178lbs
Robert Deese, Martial Arts Academy of Billings, Billings, MT, 3rd place, masters men heavyweight
Michael Spriggs, Frostburg, MD, 3rd place, novice men 220lbs
Joe Orozco, Sport Judo, Alexandria, VA, 2nd place, novice men +220lbs
Muneer Tawam, Liberty Bell Judo, Philadelphia, PA, 2nd place, novice men 198lb

To see Fox News Video on the Camp go to: http://www.coloradoconnection.com/news/video.aspx?list=~\News\Lists\Local%20and%20State&id=266153

###

Since its founding in 1976, USABA, a community-based organization of the United States Olympic Committee, has reached more than 100,000 blind and visually impaired individuals. The organization has emerged as more than just a world-class trainer of blind athletes, it has become a champion of the abilities of Americans who are legally blind. USABA’s Mission: to enhance the lives of blind and visually impaired people by providing the opportunity for participation in sports and physical activity.  For more information, visit our Web site: www.usaba.org