[Sportsandrec] ISSA

Thornbury, Kelly kthornbury at bresnan.net
Tue Mar 24 02:38:01 UTC 2009

I've talked to a couple of peers and instructors about ISSA, and this organization didn't come too highly recommended. I couldn't find anywhere within their literature where they conduct their own research or metanalysis studies. I certainly feel, and many of my cohorts agree, that organizations like the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), or the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) would probably provide you with a better knowledge base and more reputable credentials. These organizations both publish their own journals (in fact, the NSCA publishes seven different journals targeting audiences from the common lay person to the doctor of exercise science). Both organizations work closely with other health and wellness organizations like the American Heart Association, the CDC, the American Cancer Society, and many more, when publishing position statements and conducting research.
Take a close look at a few different organizations to find one that has philosophies and teachings that are in line with your beliefs, and also consider where you would like to apply your certification (a couple of the local gyms here do accept ISSA, others do not).
While many certifications may suit your personal needs, with a little research I think you will find that the organizations I mentioned above have some of the best, most respected, researchers and writers in the field. In many health and fitness/training realms, they set the gold standard for information.