[Sportsandrec] Fw: Kurt Fiene Breaks National Record in the Half Marathon

Christella Garcia christellablue at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 06:23:58 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: United States Association of Blind Athletes
To: Christella Garcia
Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 12:57 PM
Subject: Kurt Fiene Breaks National Record in the Half Marathon

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 24, 2009
Contact:  Amanda Fassett, media at usaba.org, 719.630.0422
Kurt Fiene Breaks National Record in the Half Marathon

Kurt Fiene made history Sunday, March 15, 2009 at the 31st annual Cary Madness Half Marathon in Cary, Ill.  At 47 years old, Fiene broke his own national record for B3 blind and visually impaired athletes in the half marathon with a time of 1:15:44.  Fiene’s previous record, 1:15:58, was set at the Philadelphia Distance Run (Philadelphia, Pa) in 1994.

“I never thought I would break any of the old records or my own personal records,” Fiene said. “The only personal record of mine that I thought I could break was the marathon, but now I think I can break several of the records.  Coach Lori is keeping me on track and focused.  I am running several half marathons later this summer so I would expect that new record will be broken this year.”

One of the competitions Fiene will race in this summer is the IBSA Pan American Games in Colorado Springs, Colo.  Fiene also desires to represent Team USA in the 2010 World Championships.