[Sportsandrec] Three Free Sports Opportunities

Cervenka, Stacy (Brownback) Stacy_Cervenka at brownback.senate.gov
Mon May 11 20:32:21 UTC 2009

Hey, all,
    I just received some information on three free sports weekends for
athletes who are blind and visually impaired and athletes who use
wheelchairs. I've never heard about this group before, but if I was
still young enough, I'd definitely be checking one of them out. The age
cap for the first event is 23; for the second event, it's 21; and for
the final event, it's for people 25 years old and younger.
Enjoy,
Stacy

Summer Sports Events for Young People with Disabilities and their
Families

"Verizon Pioneers" are community organizations whose members have
retired from Verizon and want to remain active in their local
communities.  Some Verizon Pioneer state chapters host annual sports
jamborees for young people with disabilities and are seeking more
participants. If you know someone with a disability, or their parent or
family member, who may be interested, in New Jersey, Pennsylvania or
West Virginia please pass along the information and contacts below.

New Jersey

Verizon HG McCully Downstate Chapter # 81

Sports Jamboree on August 14th, 15th & 16th in Pine Hill, New Jersey.

Contestants are between 7 and 23 years old who are blind, legally blind
or use a wheelchair.

35 contestant openings still available.

All meals and lodging for contestants and families are provided at the
local Holiday Inn. Games consist of beep softball, 40 yard dash,
basketball, wheelchair race, bike race, gun range, hockey shot and pilot
races.  Friday night show and party.

Point of contact: Bob Hawk, Chairman, Sports Jamboree

cell 609-238-6282; home 856-829-2074; Email hawk927 at msn.com
<mailto:hawk927 at msn.com>

Pennsylvania

Verizon Kinnard Chapter

Pioneer Sports Jamboree on August. 7th, 8th, & 9th at Fort Indiantown
Gap, outside of Harrisburg, PA.

Contestants are between 9 and 21 years old who are blind, legally blind
or use a wheelchair.

25 contestant openings still available.

All meals and lodging for contestants and families are provided on the
base. The games consist of beep softball, 40 yard dash, basketball,
wheelchair race, bike race, horse shoes, golf putting, archery and
Frisbee toss.  Party, dance and a talent show for all contestants

Point of contact: Jim Dowd, Kinnard Chapter President, Email
jim.dowd at verizon.net

West Virginia

Verizon West Virginia Chapter'

Sports jamboree on July 17th, 18th and 19th at North Bend State Park
near Cairo, WV.

Contestants are between 10 and 25 years old and visually impaired or use
wheelchairs.

28 contestant openings still available

Events include 40 yard race, basketball free throw, air rifle,
horseshoes, Frisbee throw, bicycle race, jamb toss (something like bean
bag toss), team relay, softball throw, and adaptive bowling and baseball
with adaptive racket. Pizza party and dance and talent show for the
contestants on Saturday night.

All meals and lodging are provided either in the main lodge at North
Bend state park or

in cabins which are full electric, water, TV and phone and ADA-approved.

Point of contact: Kim Basnett, Email BASNETT5 at aol.com, Home (304)
677-0624