[Sportsandrec] Fw: USA Women Capture Gold at 10th Annual Lady Malmo InterCup

Christella Garcia christellablue at gmail.com
Thu May 28 00:51:25 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: United States Association of Blind Athletes
To: Christella Garcia
Sent: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 12:14 PM
Subject: USA Women Capture Gold at 10th Annual Lady Malmo InterCup

USA  Women Capture Gold at 10th Annual Lady Malmo InterCup

For Immediate Release
May 27, 2009

In their first test since winning the Gold Medal at the 2008 Beijing Paralympics, the USA women’s goalball team demonstrated a potent offense and stingy defense in winning the 10th annual Lady Malmo InterCup, defeating rival Canada in the 6-4 final.

Using multiple lineup combinations throughout the tournament, the world champions went undefeated through pool play outscoring, their opponents 23-1.   Nikki Buck and Jordan Walters anchored a dominant defense, while National team veterans Jen Armbruster, Asya Miller, Lisa Czechowski and Robin Theryoung provided the offense in a balanced offensive attack.

In the semi-final match against Denmark, Asya Miller put team USA ahead with two early goals, setting the tone for the remainders of the match as they went on to defeat the Paralympic Bronze medalists 6-0.  Although these two teams have exchanged several victories over the past two years, this defeat left the Denmark coach lost for words in his post game interview.

In the championship game against Canada, team USA never trailed but had to overcome a couple of second half comebacks by their North American neighbors.  Jen Armbruster scored on her first throw of the game, added two penalty shots and three other scores to offset the four counter tallies of Canada’s strong thrower Nancy Moran.

Coach Ken Armbruster appeared more than satisfied with his team’s performance.  “I talked with the team before the first game about how we could not play in the past and ride our success.  The target on our back has only gotten larger and we had to carry the intensity that won the gold in Beijing over into each game we play.  The team responded and everyone contributed over the weekend”.