[Sportsandrec] Anyone totally blind and member of a gym?

Gatton, Tonia (OFB-LV) Tonia.Gatton at ky.gov
Wed Jul 7 20:10:28 UTC 2010

Hi all!  I realize many of you are at convention (where I wish I was);
but hopefully I'll still get some feedback.

I really want to join my local YMCA gym.  However, I'm hesitant because
I'm totally blind and quite a bit overweight, and I'm afraid I'll  be
uncomfortable trying to navigate in tight quarters between the
equipment, bumping in to or disturbing people during their workout,
having to always find someone to assist with setting up cardio machines
or convince them to let me label them in braille, etc.  I have very good
travel skills and I'm familiar with the various machines.  I've gone to
gyms in the past but always with a friend who could guide or direct me
to the next machine.  This time I'll be on my own and I want to feel
comfortable if I'm going to put out the money for a gym membership.
Thankfully, the YMCA doesn't require a contract and I do plan on hiring
a personal trainer for a few sessions to get me started.

Anyone have any ideas or advice from your personal experience on how I
can overcome my fears?  Also, how have you dealt with fitness classes?
Are instructor's usually pretty good about meeting with you one-on-one
at least once before class to go over the moves and terminology they'll
be using?

Thanks so much!

Tonia

Have any of you had similar